cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

not a quitter

wilbeafriend
0 13 160

Hello quitters. My name is Dawn and I am new to the community. I quit for 2 days since setting a time for the past 54 days. I was taking chantix for 58 days and still smoked. I tried the patch,ergo the 2 days. Both chantix and patch have the wildest dreams ever. Doctors found a 3mm spot on my lung, and I still smoke. Congratulations to all you quitters. I just wish I could find a way to quit. Any responses would be appreciated.

13 Comments
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.   You have come to the right place if you are willing to commit to quitting smoking. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to become a nonsmoker.

You may  have some of this information but here are a few pointers to help you get started in your forever quit journey. 

1.  At EX our resolve is to never smoke again.  NOPE “Not one puff ever. I suggest that you follow the websites instructions along with watching the videos/tracking, reading and writing blogs and comments, studying, researching, joining groups and making friends.

2.   Here is a link to Allen Carrs book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  It is an easy read which is suggested by the “Elders” (those with 1+ yrs. quit).

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

3.  Also, check out www.whyquit.com. For additional info.  Look for Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101               

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

http://whyquit.com/ffn/

4.  Stay close to the site, learn, and ask question5.  If you should need something to do for craves, here is a link https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2015/07/09/what-is-your-crave-buster

Congratulations 

wilbeafriend

Thank you so much for all the links. Will definitely check them all.

Dawn

smorgy8513

I'm glad you're here!    

I quit almost 3 years ago (8/5/13) and they just found nodules on my lungs.        

What are they doing for you with the cancer?

Don't think "it's too late" to quit.....it never is.

Contact me if you want to talk about the cancer.          I've gotten so much support and prayers from friends here and elsewhere.      You will too.

QUIT NOW!

Sharon

wilbeafriend

Sharon, I was not told I have cancer, just a 3mm spot. Having another cat scan next month. I was told 2 months ago, 3 mm is too small to tell anything. Thanks for the support.

Dawn

Giulia

Welcome to you, Dawn.  This is a great site for education and support.  There's a lot of valuable information throughout the pages here.  Chantix and NRT's  help with the cravings, but YOU have to do the work.  Unfortunately there's no magic bullet.  If you haven't watched some of the video they offer here, do.  You'll learn about nicotine receptors.  The more homework you put in the better, because the more you know about this addiction and your relationship to it, the better able you will be to conquer it.  A strong preparation will help you.  Sit back, relax, believe you CAN do this.  We know you can, because we're just like you when it comes to this addiction and we managed to do it!

Quitting has to become a priority in you life.  The more time you spend learning, the more you'll understand the nature of the journey ahead of you.  Glad you've joined us!  Stick close.

wilbeafriend

I haven't noticed any videos here. Yet received links from another quitter that are wonderful.

JonesCarpeDiem

My page may help you. If you click on my cat, he will take you there

Giulia

Just click on View all Badges, under your avatar and then on the red link under Addiction Master.  Here's the first in the series:   How Nicotine Addiction Works.

Once there, you'll see more videos on the bottom of the page.

MePlus3
You can do it! I'm a newbie myself in order to quit you have to want it BAD and plan (check out my 4Ps blog) I understand how it feels to want to quit and be lost. But this site is awesome. If you truly want to quit they'll help you even if it takes a bit of tough love. You can and will do it! My quit date is August 1 so in these few days I'm planning and preparing. Set you a quit date and go for it! Blog as much as you want we don't get tired! Read and like they told me on your quit date please come here BEFORE you smoke title your blog help and we'll come running! God bless Kimberly
sparky26

So you are still smoking ? Did you set another quit day ?  I would recommend you do a little reading and prep yourself a bit for you quit day , get rid of all cigarettes and ashtrays , try to remove all the evidence that you were a smoker . Then really commit , tell yourself I well not smoke no matter what happens . One day at a time , that's how I did it ,and you can do it too . Stick it out ,it keeps getting easier I promise you.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I also  highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read.

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

Hello, and Welcome to EX Dawn! I am kind of confused about where you are with your quit,  I am glad you came to EX! This is a great place to quit smoking. You will find awesome support here! You have been given links to great information and good advice above. Please do the suggested readings. Education, willingness to do whatever it takes not to smoke, determination and commitment are the keys to a successful quit!

I would like to recommend a group called The Daily Pledge Group. It's fun and will help reinforce your commitment not to smoke!

Just click on the link below and scroll down and take the person's hand before you and promise not to smoke! We are on page 5. You can state your # of days, post a picture or whatever you want! This is your quit be proud of it! Please join us!

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/forum/topic/8436982/declare-your-independence-from-smoking/

This link is also on my page and is also a featured group on our home page!

Hope to see you there!    Terrie

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

If you would like to join the group, use the link below, and look to the left, there is a place that says join group, just click it!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/daily-pledge

If you have any trouble getting into the group, just let me know and I'll try to help!

crazymama_Lori

when you have a chance hop on my page also, just click on my name below, and view the video and the read the suggested readings.  Welcome !!!!