cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

my story

sbechard03
0 8 13

so i have been an everyday smoker since i was 15 (going on 18 yrs now) i did quit for 6 months in 2010 with the help of chantix but due to a cluster of stressers i started smoking again.  i have been using chantix on and off since 2010 but it only worked the first time (the 6 mo quit) and every use had side effects.  i also have been dealing with chronic back and leg pain since my 1st pregnancy (i was 16) until now no one could ever give me a logical explanation for the pain i was always dismissed was told to lose weight and do physical therapy so anyway last summer 2013 i got into another of many pain managements but was not receiving pain meds so whats the point?  well my PM dr refered me to an orthopedic spine surgeon who finally after 17 yrs told me exactly what was wrong with my back and explained it fully he told me that since i had failed on all non operative attempts to relieve the pain there was no other option than back surgery a spinal fusion but he told me that he wouldnt touch me until i was smoke free for at least 3 months.  i did ok for about a month or so and then would have 1 cigarette now and again though i still wasnt buying any and then of course i was quickly back to a pack a day si i had postponed and reschedualed 2 times so in that time since i have no other options than surgery i started recieving pain meds i explained to pain management that i had reschualed twice and was told not to postpone again so here we are to jan 9 2014 i sucked it up and went to follow up with my ortho i was honest with him about the smoking and he said "im ready to do your surgery now but you are still smoking theres nothing i can do see me in 3 more months he made it very clear that he is going to do a urine screen for nicotine and if positive will have to wait again i am soooo mad that i didnt have the will power to quit i guess smoking is more important than crippling constant pain it shouldnt be like that but i really dont know if i can do it everyone i associate with on a daily basis smokes and heavily and most of them are not supportive like they will come in my house smoking even if i ask them not to they can not respect me even that much even my wife smokes and has no plans to quit at least she is semi supportive she was smoking outside during my attempt after that appointment with ortho why am i paying money i dont have to kill myself slowly but quicker im hesitant  to try any quit smoking product that is nicotine based cuz whats the point your trying to quit nicotine but your trying to fix it with nicotine who ever came up with that is a moron also im allergic to wellbutrin so is there really any positive options for mr???? im thinking not...  any good ideas for product suggestions would be so greatly appreciated that is if anyone else in patient enough to read my drawn out story... Thanks to any and all..........................                    

8 Comments