cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Sharing my quit story with my doctor :)

Livebetter2023
4 8 199

Anyone else been lying to their doctors?  Even by omission?  For the last few years, I never admitted to my doctors that I had been smoking again.   Whenever I had a doctor's appointment, I always made it early in the morning and waited to shower until the last possible second so that I could smoke right before the shower so that my dr wouldn't "smell the smoke" on me.  When asked about smoking I usually lied.  I said " I used to be a smoker" or "maybe sometimes when I have a drink".   It was stupid because there is no doubt they could smell my smoker's breath when they got close to me.  Not only was it stupid, it was flat out dangerous to not tell the truth to the professionals tasked with my health.

About a month before I quit, I made a promise to myself to be honest.  To be honest and own my addiction with my head held high.    I've kept that promise even before my quit date and to be honest it was freeing.  But it didn't even compare to how I felt yesterday.

I have been trying to find a new primary care doc and I had an initial appointment yesterday with one.   As we talked about my history, I shared my smoking story and also got to share my quitting story.  Boy did that feel good.

8 Comments
About the Author
I’ll be 50 this year and smoked off and on since I was a teenager. I quit for several years at a time- many times. When my kids were younger and I was smoking, I would never smoke in front of them and hid it well and I thought I controlled it well. A few years ago I was on a vacation in Italy and saw people smoking and it looked SO good. I became someone who only smoked “internationally” lol. That didn’t work very well and when some very real stressors popped up at home, I was smoking again full time. But now my kids were in college so I didn’t even have them to regulate me and was soon smoking as much as I ever have. I am quitting because I want to be free. I love to travel. I love to hike. I love to work out (but only when I am not smoking - I’ve missed it). I want to enjoy my life and I want to lose the shame. I felt so much shame about smoking and I want to and will be free.