cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

help

lois2
0 5 73

i am still here, just get mad some time, and want to smoke, i have a hard time getting this crap out of my head,

5 Comments
Bonnie11.3.2009

acknowledge the memory/thought and then get out of your head...go do something physical...take a hot bath, make a cup of tea, watch a good movie.....go to quitsmokingonline.com

Good for you for coming here first!

csteines

Mind you, I write this as someone who is still, at this point, a smoker preparing to quit, but I have two suggestions that might work for you, as they have really helped me beat many of my triggers/cravings

1) Consider trying meditation; it doesn't have to be complicated or even long (I started with 3 minutes, then up to 5 and kept climbing). Most of the time, I just focus my attention on my breath; research does support benefits of meditation and I have found that when I'm having a severe craving, it is immensely helpful in "riding the tide out", so to speak. (In a similar vein, consider trying something like Yoga, Tai Chi, or Qi Gong).

Journaling seems to help me achieve similar results; I've always struggled with anger management, and it seems to be one way of getting the "crap" out.

2) About a year ago, when I was in psychotherapy, my counselor suggested I look into activities that provide "flow"; which is just a fancy of saying "What activities can you do that you really enjoy that you can lose yourself in for an extended period of time?". For me, it's creative writing or working on my drum. I have been taking the insanely fiery energy from "I want a cigarette now!", and using it to fuel my passions for "flow"

Nyima_1.6.13

Hi Lois, I try to remind myself that there are a million "wants" in my life and I manage to do just fine without them!  Like I really 'want' to win the lottery...... A sense of humor helps and get moving!! Keep coming here too

kback82

its alright .....just be strong and when you get mad and think about wanting a smoke just think....OK.. IS THIS SMOKE REALLY GOING TO FIX OR HELP WHY IM MAD AT ALL?????? NO ITS NOT... IVE TRAINED MY BRAIN NOW TO THINK LIKE THAT AND ITS REALLY HELPED ME ALOT... SO KEEP IT UP AND JUST SAY NO....HAPPY SMOKE FREE NIGHT.... WE ARE HERE FOR YA IF YA NEED TO TALK

mygirls-6-5-17

I'm so glad you asked for help, you have to know that smoking isn't going to fix anything in your life, ever, or make it better. In the long run it will only make you more mad and angry. I don't know what day your on, but I have to tell you, at day 25 I feel like my anger is melting away, and I am so grateful that I felt it and went through to get to this point. You will make it through Lois, moving, reading, cleaning, crying, and taking baths got me through it!