cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Withdraw Symptoms

ejoan
0 12 2

When I tried to quit before I suffered terrible with a chest infection. Should have been enough to keep me off them the last time but no point dwelling on the past I am fully committed to the quit now. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to maybe pre-empt this side effect maybe something I can do before hand that may reduce the risk of a chest infection? 

12 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

why are you assuming a chest infection is a normal withdrawal symptom?

why assume it's going to happen again?

people get chest infections all the time, smokers or not.

get your head  in the right place (willing to quit, not fighting it),  and ignore that logic.

ejoan

For me this seems to be a normal withdrawl symptom 😞  Unfortunatly this isn't the first time I have tried to quit.

Maybe some has experienced the same and could have some suggestions. 

JonesCarpeDiem

so you are saying every time you quit you get a chest infection?

kristine5-27-14

How long was your quit before?

ejoan

I've quit twice before and i had gotten a chest infection each time after a week or two without smoking. 

ejoan

I quit for about 7 /8 months the last time, that was about 2 years now  

linda258

Oh my... sounds like a real decision to make... infection if you quit.... possible lung cancer or copd if you don't...

I'm not a doctor so can't say for sure but to me does not sound right that you get an infection from quitting...   If it were me I would go to the doctor and get myself checked out ... perhaps something else going on here. 

JonesCarpeDiem

did you go to a dr for a diagnosis and get antibiotics these two times?

ejoan

Yea both time-  It cleared up okay with anti biotics, just thought there was something I could try that might help to prevent it (might not happen this time)

kristine5-27-14

Do you take vitamins?

ejoan

Yea I've started taking vitamins hoping it will help  🙂

JonesCarpeDiem

perhaps it won't happen this time. I know that people have congestion and cough up phlegm but others don't cough at all.

I just don't understand how a bacterial infection could be caused by quitting smoking.