cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Withdrawal Symptoms and Activities That Might Help (Re-Post)

AutumnWoman
0 8 69

I was going through some papers and found this handout that comes from NCI/NHI.  I must have used it one of the umpteen times I tried to quit before coming here.  Some of this stuff may seem obvious, but there are a lot of new people on the site.  In the heat of the moment, reach for this list instead of a cigarette.

Symptom: Dry mouth; sore throat, gums or tongue; Activity: Sip ice-cold water or fruit juice, or chew gum

Symptom: Headaches; Activity: Take a warm bath or shower.  Try relaxation or meditation techniques

Symptom: Trouble sleeping; Activity: Don't drink coffee, tea or soda with caffeine after 6:00 PM.  Try relaxation or meditation techniques.

Symptom: Irregularity; Activity: Add roughage to your diet, such as raw fruit, vegetables and whole grain cereals.  Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water a day.

Symptom: Fatigue; Activity: Take a nap.  Try not to push yourself suring this time; don't expect too much of your body until it's had a chance to begin to heal itself over a couple of weeks.

Symptom: Hunger: Activity: Drink water or low-calorie liquids.  Eat low-fat, low-calorie snacks,

Symptom: Tenseness or irritability; Activity: Take a walk, soak in a hot bath, try relaxation or meditation techniques

Symptom: Coughing; Activity: Sip warm herbal tea.  Suck on cough drops or sugarless hard candy.

Symptom: Dizziness: Activity: Take extra caution; take position slowly.

Symptom:  Lack of concentration; Activity: Plan workload; avoid additional stress.

8 Comments