cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Weepy - Day 54

HealthyOrange
1 16 190

As a family, we went up north over the weekend to my daughter's soccer tournament.  The whole trip, craves seemed to pop up out of no where.  I cannot say they were unbearable, just stronger than I would expect at this point.  My junkie thinking gets going with the "just one" thought, then I realize I need to guard my quit and just get through that moment.  NML is tricky. 

I'm also weepy.  I feel like I'm on the verge of crying all the time.  Being around people helps, but I can't be needy all the time.  I've thought about finding a doctor and going on depression medication, but I don't know if this is part of the quit or the new me now that I have quit.  I have two children relatively young (13 and 10) I am responsible for so I try to keep things on an upbeat note, but some days can be hard.

Thank you, everyone for letting me vent.  I'm sure this will pass or I will figure out how to better manage my emotions.  I go for lots of walks and just cry when it gets to be too much.  This is doable, just one day at a time.  I'm on my way through NML.

16 Comments
OldBones-Larry

NML is not a real fun time at the start. Stay close to here and holler if you need help.

Weepy? I think we have all had that feeling during our quit. I myself still have periods of weepy feelings.

Remember ...

One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be.

Larry

bonniebee

Emotions you buried by smoking are coming to the surface and you need to feel more smoking numbs our emotions , Don't rush for medication get to know your true self

YoungAtHeart

You are doing fine.  The depression and tears are part of the process.  Our bodies and emotions take awhile to find their new normal.  Do whatever you need to do.....you don't have to be everybody's cheerful person ALL the time.  You are doing something REALLY important - quitting smoking - and you'll be back to yourself in no time!

Hang in there!

Nancy

elvan

I cried a LOT in NML, right around 60 days, Dale says it waters your cheeks, made me laugh and gave me a break from crying.  I gets better.

Courage

Awe, I remember going through this in my attempt at my quit. My son was so disgusted with me, he was 18 then, 20 now and was literally screaming at me to get over, people quit smoking everyday.... It's normal what you're going through, this to shall pass. Sadly that same son started smoking, breaks my heart and makes me feel so guilty. On the flip side, he quit with me and can't stop asking me questions about what's normal or not. I don't really think you need an antidepressant unless you have a history of depression, then of course, by all means, anything is better than smoking. 

Deep breathes, peace my friend 

TerrieQuit

Hello! I just blogged about NML a little while ago. I wanted to let everyone going threw this with us know that It's no fun for me  either. I usually blog when i am real happy or sick. But I never say much about my struggle threw NML. This is definately not a picnic but it is very doable! So Hang in there! We'll all walk together!!

Terrie  77  DOF  =  11  weeks

JonesCarpeDiem

I had three what I would consider hopeless days in a row at 53, 54 and 55.

Didn't have nearly as bad days after that time.

Hang on.

The only way out is through.

marla_10.12.15

I'm new. What is nml? I have suffered with depression and anxiety since I was 17. Depression is the worst. The true test for depression is if you have been feeling weepy for 3 weeks or more. First step is to talk to your doctor. There are other options aside from medication. You don't need to suffer. If it is interfering with your daily life, give your doctor a quick call. Medicine and therapy work for me. You can also try journaling, exercise, and meditation or prayer. Depression is very common and very treatable. Hang in there. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

jonilou

Crying is very good for the release of pent up emotions you didn't know you were holding in. NML was a very up and down time for me also. It's a whole new way of living and dealing with life as it comes instead of running somewhere for a fix. It is really good that you recognize the "just one" thinking for the lie that it is. You're doing great in your quit and also in sharing this with all of us. People learn from posts like this.

djmurray

NML is No Man's Land, which is the name given here to the time period from Day 30 to Day 130.  Usually the first thirty days, while they are hard, are full of a kind of excitement and determination.  After that first 30 days and for about the next three months, the excitement tends to wane and the real work of relearning our behaviors takes place.  You will go through days when you hardly think about smoking and them WHAM, you get a megacrave.  NML is a great time to work on the idea of being willing to quit, because you may find that your addictive brain is working overtime to convince you that "just one won't hurt", "you've gotten this far, so if you want to smoke, go ahead and you can do it all over."  That's a really good time to remember that those first two weeks were NOT something you want to do again.

There is a normal Wednesday Blog about getting through NML and Dale (aka JonesCarp) has lots of really helpful information in his library of blogs.

(Oh, there are other acronyms used here a lot -- TDC is when you reach 100 days because you are now in the "triple digit club".  When you reach a year you're in the 6% club.  NOPE is Not One Puff Ever.  NEF is Never Ever Forget.   I'm sure there are more, but that's what I can think of right now.)

And Healthy Orange, I haven't forgotten you!  I have found that I am generally weepier than I ever was before.  I think that we do have to more directly deal with emotions when we're non-smokers, and the emotions don't get stifled like they used to be.  Hang here and know that we all support you and most of us have been where you are.

riceshontae

Hello All,

I quit on 8/30/2015. It has been a series of emotional up and downs. The really weird junkie thoughts has been "if I can just get through this day, I'll have a cigarette". Its as if mentally I want to reward myself with having a cigarette that never comes. Is that crazy?? I have taken up chewing loads and loads of mint gum for the menthol flavor. I have a craving about once a day an had hoped that I wouldnt still be having these cravings.  Is this normal?

froguelady

Adding to DJ's list    SINAO      SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION.

Giulia

We become a bit raw emotionally when we quit.  It's absolutely normal.  If you can, put on your humor hat.  Sometimes we take it all SO SERIOUSLY that we forget to laugh and be silly.  Humor is a necessary ingredient on this rollercoaster ride.  Even if it's sarcastic humor like... "Oh BOY another day of quitting.  Oh gosh, oh gee, or GLEE!!! 

Quitting isn't the end of the world.  Only dying is.  Well, this world anyway.  Go to the groups you belong to and read some stuff in there.  Or maybe this humor group Humorous Corruptus,

Past the halfway mark to Triple Digits.  ONWARD!

MarilynH

Great advice above me, you can and will get through these roller coaster ups and downs of quitting Jaime, hang on because it does get easier and it's definitely worth it. 

(((((Big Hug)))))- hopefully today will be much better. 

Marilyn 

cpsono

All wonderful comments above, totally relatable to my quit.  Healthy Orange-pat yourself big time for 54 days!   riceshontae, if you quit on 8/30 and are only having one crave per day, consider yourself lucky!!!  Giulia, thanks for the reminder about humor-YES!   CP 118 DOF-Yipee!

jacks1125

I found out that once I stop smoking, drinking ice water help with the cravings.I was a wreck, but I kept busy!!