cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Substance abuse is not the answer

Joan_01-02-2015
0 12 6

I am going to make this as short as I can.  My brother hospitalized himself the other day due to severe depression and suicidal thoughts.  They ran blood work and found Meth and other illegal substances in his system, so he is on a 72 hour hold.  Our entire family is devastated.

He suffered a back injury when he was 24 (is 47 now) and has been through 7 back surgeries.  Yes, he has a long history of drug abuse.  We have tippy toed around for so long.  He has two sons who are devastated and blaming themselves.

There is no substance in this world that will ever ease any of our problems.  They numb them - for a little while - whether stinkorettes, alcohol, etc.  They have dire effects on our health and what the hell are we thinking - certainly not about our family members and what this will do to them the day we require oxygen and assistance to live!!

I am going to leave you with this song and ask you please, for yourself, your health, your joy that you will find when you overcome the Nicodemon and kick him out of your life - think about those around you that this affects too.  Find a hobby, go for a walk, meditate, take a class, find a support group (like here;), anything, anything, anything........................but quit!!  Quit destroying yourself and those around you.  That is what ALL substance abuse does.  It solves nothing - it hurts everything and everyone - and, there is no substance other then good health and healthful living that is your friend!!!!!

So - here is my song for the day (I may have posted it before?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VDNMtn0t2A

12 Comments
ShawnP

Quit people while you still can. Don't wait until you are diagnosed with something to make your realize I should of quit long ago. Now is your chance, take it!!!

Joan, I've been keeping him in my prayers lately. I really feel for everybody involved. 

moody_9-18-13

I will keep you and your family in my prayers, Joan. Maybe this is your brother's wakeup call. He is exactly where he needs to be in detox where he can get medical attention.

Take care, and remember only HE can make the decision to choose life and continuing down the path he had taken would be death. Be joyful and thank God your brother is getting help.

smorgy8513

Prayers for you, your brother and the whole family.    Been there, done that with my oldest son...."life ain't alway beautiful"......but there is always hope!

cloud51

So sorry about your brother, but like Moody said he is where he needs to be, and hopefully his life, and your family's will change, for addiction effects the whole family you and your family are in my prayers

Michwoman

The good news is that he admitted himself - he knows he has a problem. That's the first step toward healing. Praying for him Joan!

kloud9

Lord, ...........

Give these people the strength they need, the love they deserve, and most ov all LORD, Give them of your PEACE, and PEACE with You.

N.O.P.E.

kloud9

P.s.............Love the Song............

crazybabi3-2

I can relate so much I havea son who overdosed when he was 20 I broke an eight month quit then I will be praying for you and all who care for your brother if you ever need to talk feel free to message me.

Magstoyou

Joan,

I agree with Michwoman he admitted himself!!

He realized he had a problem and he wants to get well!!

Praying for you and your family!!

Mag194d

Patty-cake

I'm glad your brother reached and hopefully will get the help he so desperately needs. I will say prayers for him and you.

The correlation you made between your brother's substance abuse and our own substance abuse with smoking is accurate and to the point. It's not just our life that is affected when we continue our addiciton, it includes the pain of all of our loved ones. We tend to see the damaged of addiction to other drugs much more clearly than our own addiction to smoking.

Hugs Joan.

Nyima_1.6.13

((((Joan)))) 

He has started a process of healing and I hope he will continue on that path. My love to you and the family. 

Strudel

Joan - I am sending prayers for your brother.....and family! Please take care! Thanks for the song!