cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Starting Again

annimarlee
0 6 9

OK.  It's a new day - a new month - a new me.  A new QUIT.  Day one.  My chest and lungs are raw and ragged.  I have my patch on, so I am not craving too much at this point.  I've only been awake for about 7 hours though.  It's usually harder for me in the evenings.  Not going to have any alcohol at all this time.  Too risky.  Feeling very confident this time.  I have a QUIT BUDDY - my boyfriend.  Encouragement and support is a good thing.  I am somewhat ashamed and down on myself for the sheer number of times I have had to go back to square one - wondering why this habit is so stubborn.  I've sure had it a long time.  I know that I have got to get it into my head and heart that I hate cigarettes and that they are nasty if I am going to be successful and happy with this.  That conviction has eluded me so far.  Even on my one 7-year quit, I never quit loving the smell.  I hope I can find that aversion this time.

6 Comments
YoungAtHeart

I hope you have spent some time thinking about what caused you to fail in your last quit?  You need to make a plan ahead of time for the same circumstance THIS time.

Smoking is not a habit; it's an addiction.  Do you understand that cigarettes have hijacked your brain into believing you need them to remain calm, for something to do when you are lonely, tired, bored?  These are all lies.  I am going to give you a link to Allen Carr's book.  I highly recommend you read it ---- it's easy and entertaining and will help you understand what your addiction has done to your mind and body:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

btw - a LOT of us here who have long term quits still enjoy the smell of a cigarette wafting on the breeze.  It doesn't mean we have to act on it....it's only a thought and it passes.  It's OK to enjoy it from afar!

PLEASE do all the reading you can.  It will greatly increase your chances of success!

Nancy

annimarlee

Wow - thank you.  That is an idea I hadn't thought of.  Writing down what caused me to fail, and writing out a plan ahead for this time.  THANK YOU!!!!

OxfordComa

I was where you're at exactly a year ago and I promise that if you stick with it, it feels amazing. You are going through the worst of it right now but these intense cravings and withdrawal symptoms will pass. 

Take it one day at a time. You can get through today.

Remember that you are giving yourself the gift of health. Write out your reasons for quitting and keep them on you. When you have a craving, read them and take 3 deep breaths. Go slow and focus on the breathing. You deserve this and you are worth it!

Remember to thank your body for working so hard to help you quit. Self care and positive reinforcement is so important right now! Take a nice long bubble bath. Go for a run. Take a steamy shower. Take a long nap. Drink some nice tea. Focus on self-care. You are doing this to give yourself a better, longer, richer life! This is the BEST gift you can give yourself!

You can do this!

Giulia

This is not simply a habit - it's an addiction.  But like a habit, it can be overcome.  The more you read, the more you will understand the nature of this addiction and your relationship to it.  There are many useful tools that can be employed that will help.  Quitting is a skill that can be learned.  And your attitude plays an important role.  Looking at this as an exciting challenge, rather and an unpleasant task, will make the journey less onerous.  And a sense of humor will go a long way to bring giggles more often than tears.  Take it one day at a time.  Come to the Daily Pledge, grab a hand and make a promise not to smoke this day.  It too is a simple but powerful tool that can help.  Have heart!

hwc

These have helped a lot of us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJo1vfEqlo

http://www.youtube.com/user/joelspitz

Like having your own personal quit clinic coach, only you can watch in your PJs, Perfect way to pass the time when a craving to smoke hits.....

MarilynH

Great advice above me, you can do this one day at a time, one hour at a time or if need be one minute at a time. Stay strong and stay close to this site, drink lots of water, I liked chomping on raw carrots and celery sticks when I was having a tough time with cravings and I kept a bag of sugar free mints around .

Marilyn