cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Slipped

mrs.stephens713
2 12 141

So today I was only smoking on an e cig and I haven't had a real cig all day until about an hr ago. I am dealing with some family issues and I am disappointed for giving in and i know that even though I will have bad times and stess that I have to find better ways to get through it. I know that I have to quit all together because I have two beautiful children that love me very much and need me and I cant do this to them. I was in the hospital last week with the right side of my body going numb face and tongue and all and I overheard the nurse say we have a possible stroke patient and it was the scariest hardest moment I have ever faced in my life. I was rushed with emotions feeling like I am the worst mom ever for not giving it up a long time ago when I have been having signs of strokes for 5 1/2 years now and been in the hospital over 10 times for it. I am proud of myself that I was able to go from a pack and a half to just 2 today so quickly and everytime I want to smoke I  look at my kids and use them for motivation and I truly believe if I didnt have them I probably wouldnt be trying to quit right now. I have so many emotions right now one moment im happy and the next I want to cry because its so hard. 

12 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am so glad you are here!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

Hi Stephanie the links I told you about are above. Please read all the information. If you really chose to quit it will help you! It saved me!!!  read read read!!!

Terrie

Eric_L.

You can quit.  The kids are great motivation.  In my experience I have had to rid myself of the false beliefs about smoking doing anything for me.  It, even the nicotine from the ecig, is all lies.  Js.

You have found a great group of people that really have your back.  I bookend my days as much as possible on Ex and my life has slowly become more manageable.

You can do this.

mrs.stephens713

what does bookend your days mean Eric? and thank you for your support.

amanda_100

I think that he meant to start your day on this site (during breakfast maybe) and end your day on this site (right before bed).

Congrats on your quit! That's excellent news! Keep it up!

mrs.stephens713

Thanks Amanda

Junior7

Welcome!  So glad you are here!

Puff-TM-Draggin

My kids are my motivation for quitting as well.  It has to be YOUR quit, don't do it for anyone else but you, but use whatever motivates you to stick with it.

richella

Well done on coming off the fags. Even the word "fags" sounds disgusting. ,! I'm using champix but two of my friends are doing fantastic on the ecig.  

You CAN do this, this is a great supportive site!!

bonniebee

It is good to have a plan before quitting I think t increases your chance of success . Read up on the addiction as many have told you . If it is really hard for you to quit cold turkey then use an NRT . I used the patch and I did it exactly as perscribed  I also used an e- cigarette but ONLY for the hardest times as I did not want to get hooked on them .

Whatever you decide stay close to your Ex family you will soon feel like family if you don't already !

Go to the elders pages and read back in there blogs . We have all been where you are now ! You can do it don't wait 51 years like I did ! I quit numerous times but then failed This is the best I have done (220 days ! ) I give the  the most credit to all my peeps on this site !

mrs.stephens713

Thank you guys for your support. I am still trying to quit and I know one day soon I will be an ex smoker and I will feel so much better. Its very difficult but im not giving up!

mudder

Hi Stephens713, I know its hard to quit, I did for 6 years then started again. I wish I never started again ,but I did . Now I trying to stop again. Having  COPD has become worse since I  started back. It's the reason I'm quitting again. Hang in there and we will beat this thing together.

Mudder