cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

My first day

kelly177
0 9 87

Hi everyone i have tried 3 times to quit smoking but this time it will be a go i am determind this time. i had found a note my daughter wrote for school and it was about me smoking it made me feel sad. and she got all excited about and gave me a hug and kissed me. best feeling. i will be around smokers today at a birthday party but i know i will not smoke i am wearing the patch so its helped a little still want one but i tell myself no. so i will keep you informed on my progress thanks for listing or reading.

9 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You have some catchiing up to do, but don't worry.  I didn't find this site until the fourth day of my quit and I did fine (over two years quit now!)

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there,  All of these things make great crave busters!

The idea is to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!”

Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it!

If you are going to be around smokers, a little Vicks under your nose blocks that smell!

It helps to change up your routines, too.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand.  Rearrange the area where you used to smoke.  Get right up after you eat and DO something!

You CAN do this!  It isn't easy, but it is doable.  You have to make the decision, then honor it each and every day.

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

please read my page. it's a mental roadmap through a quit.

Barbara145

I went to a get-together about a week after I quit.  It was hard.  .  I didn't stay too long.  It physically and emotionally hurt.  Now I don't mind being around smokers.  I am so over it.  Congratulations on your decision to quit.  It is the best thing you will ever do for yourself in this lifetime.  We are here for you.  Coming to this site everyday is so important.  Without this site and all the beautiful people here I don't think I would have made it.     Barbara  317 days.

Junior7

Welcome!  Congrats on your decision to quit!

JonesCarpeDiem

being willing to quit is the secret

altenpa1

in addition to all other recommonendations....I like to have "fire-ball" cinnimon jawbreakers on hand. For me, the burning cinnimon sensation distracts from other physical cravings like our favorite  inhaling\exhaling carbonmonoxide,carcinogens, and other yummy toxic\poisonous chemicals.   

sparky26

welcome Kelly.

cookie804

welcome to the ex family Kelly, we will be here for you.

suzanne41

Welcome, you came to the right place!!