cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Made it through Day 1

SaraPeach
6 26 168

I finally quit again (was quit 9 years until this April). I made it through day 1 today. Been crying a lot, but it wasn't too bad. I could use some positive encouragement because I haven't really talked to anyone about my quit this time. This guy I just started dating who is a smoker was really mean today and told me one day is nothing and doesn't mean I've quit. He said he goes one day often and anyone can do it. Well, to me one day is a huge accomplishment and something to be celebrated and is not easy and his words really hurt and were super uncaring. I don't think I will see him again due to not just that but several other things I don't like about him. I went for a short run this morning too after not running for months, so I felt good about that. I'm glad I made it through day 1.

26 Comments
About the Author
I quit 9 years ago, on May 23, 2009, and recently started smoking again in April of 2018 due to being in a really bad spot mentally from an abusive relationship. I never in a million years thought I would ever smoke again. I never craved cigarettes anymore. I had taken up running, ran marathons and ultramarathons, and overall, enjoyed leading a healthy lifestyle. But I was in such a bad spot, that I decided to take the risk of smoking because I was desperate and thought maybe it would help change my brain chemistry somehow. I thought I could just smoke one or a few day but within just a few days, that quickly turned into a pack most days (more than I ever used to smoke before I quit in 2009!). When I was not smoking, I enjoyed hiking, running, playing with my cat, cooking, baking, and reading. I just got into backpacking last summer and want to do longer trips. It's hard to be very active or take overnight trips with non-smokers while being a smoker! I want to have better lung capacity and endurance again.