cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just starting...

alicia28
0 11 117

Hi! I am starting this program tonight and was wondering if anyone has advice or is beginning this program as well. I like the idea of having someone to "buddy up" with this process.

11 Comments
Ex_Nancy

Hi Alicia and welcome to EX! Actually, we all help each other and all of us are in varying stages of our quits. You will also see many in the same week as you too.  

The most important thing you can do for your quit now is to educate yourself about the addiction and the mind games it plays on us....READ,READ,READ for a successful quit...the more you read, the easier it is...

CHOOSE to quit smoking, not try. Educate yourself by reading these links to the materials that most of us have used to help us quit and STAY quit! This is about making a DECISION to never put another cigarette in your mouth, mean it, and be committed to follow through on that decision. Also allow NO excuses AND hang in there for as long as it takes, no matter how uncomfortable you become.... This is about re-learning your life WITHOUT cigarettes....start changing your "normal" routine....because a smoker's routine revolves around cigarettes. You will be a nonsmoker so change how you start your morning so it doesn't revolve around cigarette breaks, etc. You CAN do this! ....http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/Allen_Carr_s_Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking_Download_free_PDF

http://quitsmokingonline.com

AutumnWoman

Do as much reading and preparation as you can.  Explore the site, read the blogs and comment and/or ask questions.  

Other recommended resources:

http:// whyquit.com

http://quitsmokingonline.com

Alan Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" -- someone may have the link to the downloadable version.

Stay close to the community, especially in the beginning.  The more involved and prepared you are, the better off you will be.

Don't be afraid to reach out.  We're a friendly bunch (for the most part).

gayvenda

Hey Alicia!  Good for you. You can do it!  I couldn't have quit without EX's help and making new friends who have quit smoking, too. I have about 11-12 days now. And I am so happy to finally be a non smoker.  I smoked about 2 packs a day for 40 years.  And yes, I quit cold turkey and went a little bazirk for 3 days, but the first 3 days are the hardest.  I had to make a pact with myself to not smoke a cigarette no matter what happened.  I have taken it one day at a time.  I have written many blogs about my days and feelings related to a life long addiction.  The feedback was always great and uplifting.  I didn't quit soon enough to not have lung damage as I have COPD with Bronchitis, but not emphysema yet.  I'm hoping my lungs will heal.  Be determined!  You can quit smoking if I can!

Ex_Nancy

Read the info above too on the EX bar@ DAY two...here's a link...And KEEP a sense of humor about this journey...the happier your mind set the easier your quit will be...http://www.becomeanex.org/the-day-you-quit.php

froguelady

Welcome to the EX site.  I have been here for over a year and the support here is great.  Nancy is right about the reading and educate yourself on the nicotine addiction.  We are all nicotine addicts in recovery and living our lives smoke free.  I smoked for 54 years and when I quit I haven't smoked one puff and never will. You can do this, the help is here.

jojo_2-24-11

Hi there Alicia, You can do this and we will help in what ever way we can. LIsten to all the above advice, it really is so important to read about nicotine and the addiction it holds on us. We will support you in this, so go for it and become an ex!

christy37

I'm quitting on Monday, so you will be a little ahead of me, but will be following your progress. Good Luck!

Christy

lisa11209

Welcome to the site.  Very good advice above about reading and educating yourself.  Have faith in your decision and know that you can do this.

alicia28

Thank you everyone for your support!  I truly appreciate it.  The site suggested my quit date to be June 18 and I am excited about it! 

I do have a question.  I've been trying the seperation exercises and it works.  However, I feel like when I actually have the cigarette it is almost like a reward for waiting.  How do I get rid of that reward feeling?  I'm worried about how that will affect me come my quit date?

Again, thank you all for your responses!  I feel like I have a community that is totally supportive!!

christy37

Sorry, I don't have an answer. The books I have read said the more time you put between cigarettes, the more it will appear enjoyable. I get the concept of the separation exercises and think it will help you break associations, but you may end up falsely believing that cigarette is more pleasurable than it actually is. IDK, hopefully someone will chime in with some good advice:)

roosmom

Contact me anytime you need support, read my past blogs it gives you a sense of my journey, 

i will help you anyway I can

you CAN DO THIS