cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Importance of Relationship!

smorgy8513
0 14 30

This concept is so obvious if you read on this site for more than 1 day.     We support each other, we encourage each other.......we even chastise each other if needed.    And all this is done in love and with honesty.    Are there times when someone comes on a bit strong?     Of course, we are human.     And our situations off of this site effect how we hear what is being said and how we respond to what is being said.

I'm not bringing this up to re-hash some of the recent blogs.  

I'm bringing this up as it applies in my life today.

My oldest sister is 15 years older than I am.     In my childhood she was often more of a mother than a sister.   Later she definitely was my "bigger, wiser" sister who would tell me what to do and how to do it.      In the last 15 years of so she has become my friend.      She encourages me and builds me up.     She jumps to my defense when something is not quite right with my kids or friends.      She also occasionally falls back into "I'm the big sister and you will listen to me!"     She has said that, in a joking manner but totally serious.

In the last year as our other sister began to fail Sis and I could support each other in our worries and our fears.

Need to say that Sis and I deal in different ways with our emotions.      I tend to pick up my feelings, put them in a box and set them on a shelf until I can look at them.     Unless I've packed the box too full.....then it explodes and I (OMG NO) show my feelings without the filter I want to keep on.

Sis has had big feelings over our sister's failing and recent death.    She gets angry.      She has told me "don't tell me what to do" when I've made a suggestion.      When I suggested that we all tell our unconscious sister it is ok to leave she said "don't go pulling that therapy thing with me!"      I could give many more examples but you get the idea.     

I have been hurt and when I try to talk she tells me "I can't now....later".

I have found out since that her blood sugar has been extremely high and this may be part of the reason for her explosion of emotions.      

Her medication has been changed and she says she is feeling better.

Today I go to her house and we go through old pictures of our family.              No lack of emotions there, right?

We also are going to talk about the last few months and how our relationship has taken a hit.     

I love Sis and want us to continue the love and relationship that is is healthy for both of us.

She has been there for me through so much (did I tell you I was sitting between her and my future brother in law when he proposed or that when I cried as they were leaving for their honeymoon he suggested that take me along?).      I want whatever years we have together to be healthy and loving.

So, I will go today and hug her, tell her I love her, tell her I'm sorry for my part and HOPE she can tell me the same.     It is hard for her to say "sorry".

Family........can't live with them, can't live without them?         I more believe I can't live without them.

Sharon 355 DOF

14 Comments
smorgy8513

Deena-A-Yenni

Good blog.  Thanks for sharing.

elvan

What a lovely blog.  You may very well be right that the blood sugar messed up her responses...it may also just be that her grief was overwhelming her, not that yours wasn't overwhelming you as well.  Everyone deals with grief differently.  I remember when my father died that I arrived at the airport in Rochester, NY with my daughter, who was 9 at the time.  My two brothers and my two sisters were waiting for me and we huddled together in the airport, sobbing...well, I was sobbing.  I couldn't HELP it and all of them told me how much they "envied" me because I was able to "let it out."  None of them were able to just cry and allow themselves to grieve.  I was smoking back then, so was my older sister but all of my siblings kept their feelings under "control" and I COULDN'T, even with the smoking, sometimes, they just blew out of that box you were talking about. Grief is so personal, every person handles it differently and so many times people feel more than they can express or they are angry...not at the people around them but the person who is dying.  All of those same siblings were with me at our mother's bedside when she was dying 22 years later. The brothers had to leave, they could not stop crying and could not handle watching her die. The sisters all stayed and were with her and we DID tell her to go, that it was alright, that we loved her but that she did not have to hang on.  As soon as the brothers left, she passed.  We think she was waiting for them so she could go without them crying since neither one of them had EVER cried in front of the rest of us. Every one of us handles grief in our own way...none is right, none is wrong and there are no time limits.  Love you and wish you all the peace in the world in dealing with your loss.

Ellen

moody_9-18-13

I have such a soft heart these days, my eyes are full of tears after reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your innermost feelings with all of your EX sisters. Love and hugs....

annb
Beautiful Sharon. Yes enjoy your Sis today and laugh and hug as much as you can! From one who always wanted siblings, give each other a big hug from me!!! ❤
marilyn_marmac

Oh Sharon, you are such a sweet, loving woman. You are special and important to me. It is true, each of us handle our emotions in a different way, especially when it comes to the death of a loved one. Some hold it inside and keep a tight lid on it while others act out the sadness, shock, anger, and fear. And right now, I'm sure that both of you are experiencing the fear of losing each other on top of dealing with the loss of your other sister ♥

Sometimes, people think the person, that is not crying, does not have the same level of pain as the person crying. It's usually just the opposite. The one holding the pain inside may actually be experiencing more pain because they haven't managed to release it. Shedding tears, screaming, cursing, acting out...it all helps. Even if it's in private, it helps to let it out. Either way, each person grieves in their own way and the recovery time differs from person to person. It's hard, but try to remember that her anger at this time is not truly aimed at you. Everything you have written tells me that you both have great love for each other. Go to her. Tell her you love her. Tell her your pain and fears. Hold each other and let the sorrow of your loss pour out. She may not be able to to apologize, but you already know, in her heart, she is only dealing with her loss in love in a different way.

The Five Stages of Grief (SARAH) - Shock, Anger, Rejection, Acceptance, Healing

My prayers go with you,

Marilyn

YoungAtHeart

Not having parents or any siblings around, I envy the ups (yes and the downs) of having family around.  Life is too short not to heal this rift.  I pray your sister is ready.

Nancy

freeneasy

You are lucky to have each other. I have one sibling, a sister one year younger than me. We were never that close when we were younger and have had several spats though the years but we know we can always count on each other.

Giulia

And the journey will continue.....  I'd print out a copy of this blog and leave it with her.  Well, I don't know that I'd have the guts to, but I like proposing the idea to YOU!   May you grow closer through this meeting.

jeanne-8-4-13

I envey you Sharon, at least you have a realationship with her. I have one sibling, a sistr who is 8 years older. She was always mean to me. I asked my mother, when I was a child, why she hated me, but she said she didn't know.

My sister lives in North Carolina and I live in Ohio. She moved back to Ohio about three years ago, I tried to help her financially, but it was never enough. She left for North Carolina in the middle of the night without even calling me. This weighs heavy on my heart. I am telling you this so you know, if you feel love for her let her know. I am sure she will tell you she feels the same.

I always feel bad when I see two sisters out shopping or just being together, I always felt like I missed out on something great. Your sister is dealing with her grief differently, and high blood pressure sure isn't helping. May God take care of you both and bring you closer together.

Hugs and much love

Jeanne

gr8_start

Thanks for sharing!!

Strudel

Sharon - Bless you for recognizing that her blood sugar was very likely a cause for some of the comments. I love your idea of going there and saying you love her and having a fresh start. 

Please - Take care dear Sharon! 

cheyenne7

You are such a beautiful person Sharon.....I know your sister feels very blessed to have you for her sister......I'm glad you have each other.....keep holding each other closely ❤️

lindan_7-14-10

♥♥♥

About the Author
Gone but Not Forgotten. RIP I've thought so many times about quitting, done a few quits with the longest being 9 months. Blamed that relapse on my sister because she broke her hip. This time I feel different 8/5/13:The first day of my forever quit. About me? Well, I'm old enough that I am going to semi-retire (work 2 days per week) starting in October, 2013. I have 2 grown sons, 2 older sisters, 2 cats. I'm passionate about my work, love mystery books. I give all the glory for my work, any successes I may have to God and prayer. I have a lot of people praying for me right now and that is where I feel the strength. I also am finding strength, information and support from this site. I hope I can offer some of that to others when I get past the newbie stage. 9/4/13 30 days today!! I've learned so much since I've been coming here each morning (and sometimes at night). Words: choose, not try-----decision----not giving anything up, but gaining---I'm worth so much more than a cigarette. These are only a few of the pearls of wisdom that I've taken to heart. So many great people. I learn something each and every time I come on here. I'm learning about myself too. I teach clients everyday that feelings are feelings and ok to have, but I've always fought that concept myself. I heard when I was little "what have you got to cry about?" so I learned not to cry. If anger was shown it meant going back and shutting the door 10 times quietly or maybe getting the wrath of my parent. So, I learned not to cry, not to feel anger. I'm learning now that I have those feelings and that smoking pushed them aside and down. They are there and real. Now I'm trying to learn how to show and express them instead of going off by myself for a smoke. I have supporters. The biggest pride is what I feel in myself. With each day I wake up I can say "Today is day ____" and I feel proud. Not the kind of pride like I could never fail. That is a realization and why I need to be aware and conscious each moment. No, smoking doesn't solve anything. And today I am proof that I can go on without the crutch of a cigarette! 8/5/17 4 Years Quit!!! Who would have "thunk" it? I never took responsibility for my relapses, always blamed whatever it was that occurred. So, when I quit on 8/5/13 I knew I REALLY wanted it to work, knew that I needed as much support as I could get but I think deep down I was afraid this one wouldn't take either. So, I did as much positive as I could: Chantix, prayer, atomic fire balls, telling friends AND coming to the EX many times throughout the day. The people here became my friends as well as my family. I could share when I was struggling and get encouragement. Have there been struggles in my life since then that would have "caused" me to smoke in the past? Of course! Life goes on and troubles happen even when you don't smoke. I lost my sister who was also my best friend, my diagnosis of lung cancer and the treatment that has gone on since then (dr tells me "not curable, but treatable"). Would smoking make any of those things better? OF COURSE NOT! But when you're an addict the brain tells tons of lies to you..... Newbies: use the resources that the EX provides to you and you will have major milestones too. I thank my family here and love each and every one of you that have helped me! Too many names to mention.