cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Hi everyone, new guy here :)

yelnats
2 16 95

I just joined yesterday, so still trying to figure out how to navigate.

Been smoking off and on for some 40 years.. Last quit was 4 years.. dont know why I started again, very stupid, but thought I could control it.. NOPE!!

Learned my lesson, you cant quit, feel wonderful and proud of yourself, then one day say: 'hey, I can control this.. I can have this one ciggie and not get hooked again'..

It simply doesnt work that way..

My official quit date isnt untill May 2nd, but the last 3 days, have only been smoking my morning routine ciggies, and no smoking the rest of the day and all evening.

I need to figure out how to lick that morning trigger and find a way to get my motor running w/o stupid ciggies 😞

Anyway, this will be my first quit using a support group, rather then just going it all alone.

So, i'm looking forward to chatting, sharing, and making new friends here.

Everyone have a great, smoke free day 🙂

Stanley

16 Comments
Barbara145

Welcome Stanley!  Glad you are here.  In the beginning I would drink really strong coffee.  That helped me get my mojo going.  You did it before you can do it again.  This site is really good at keeping you from every picking up smoking again.  I smoked for 52 years Yuck, I am at  921 days, yeah.

Dotgirl_1-28-16
Welcome Stanley, glad you're hear. As you learn about this addiction and prepare for your quit date, you'll see tracking your cigarettes is a good idea. Write down when and why you smoke. Then you make a new plan for your morning routine that does not include smoking. It can be a simple as brush your teeth instead of smoking or break your regular routine of drinking your morning drink with your right hand to drinking with your left. I personally drank a lot of bottled water, instead of going for a cigarette, I grabbed my water bottle and took a sip. Again welcome, you can do this!
Dotgirl_1-28-16
Congratulations on your first blog and for choosing your quit date!
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

As a nicotine addict, there is no such thing as "just one."  So - don't EVER again think that will be OK - it never is!!! 

Be careful the way you are cutting back.  If you are smoking less than 5 each day, then you are keeping yourself in constant withdrawal and making this more difficult than it needs to be.  I think you will better understand all of this by doing the readings I will recommend.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

ShawnP

It took me awhile to find this in my blogs. It got buried LOL. I need to get it updated. Well anyway, there is many links in here to help you on this journey.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/ShawnP-blog/2013/08/11/foundation-for-a-successful-quit

nanawendy

Welcome to the community Stanley, You have done this before so you can do it again.  If you do the readings and make the committment we will be with you to help in any way we can.  I smoked for 40 years and I am celebrating `1205 smoke free days, so it can be done.  Remember you can never have just one, they travel in packs

keep calm and carry on

Wendy

12/31/12

freeneasy

Congrats on your decision to quit again and welcome to ex.  You've quit before on your own so you already know you can do it. This place will help you make this your final quit. I think the main ingredient of staying quitting and staying quit is confidence at 1st which this place will help you get and keep. Eventually though, you'll find that you just don't want to smoke anymore. You'll come to the understanding that there is no benefit in smoking and it adds nothing to the quality of your life. I'm smilng as I write this because it's such a hugh understatement!  You don't need to smoke to start your day or enjoy your morning coffee or to cap off a good meal or to reward yourself for doing a good job or for a break to decide what you want to do next or ..... they are all excuses that kept us prisoners of the addiction. There are no good reasons to smoke only EXcuses. This place gives you the tools to quit and to stay that way. The rest is up to you.  

TerrieQuit

Hello and welcome Stanley! Since you have done this before, you know what you are getting yourself into. You know how great the freedom is! I look forward to seeing you around! Listen to the Elders, that will make it easier! Have a great day! Terrie  288 DOF

Stay close and if you need anything let us know!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Christine13

Welcome Stanley!  I hope for the best quit ever for you!!  There are so many people

here to help you!!

yelnats

Wow! thanks everybody, U guys are great 🙂

I know I'm not doing a good thing by having my morning only smoke, but the other big triggers are starting to fade from my mind, it's this morning thing that really has me in a bind.

I will try having more then one cup of coffee (coffee is not a trigger for me). I remember last time I guit, I would go outside in the fresh air and breath deeply, then, if the urge to smoke hits, just jump in the shower (cant smoke there LOL).

I've read a lot of contraversy about the real world effectivness of NRT and dont want to just get myself needlessly confused.

I think if I just use the method that has worked for me in the past (patches) I should go that way.

Past 3 days, 3 or 4 ciggies between 4 and 5:30am, and no more the rest of the day. I know this is just prolonging withdraw, but at least I dont have congestion at night and not able to sleep.

Tomorrow morning I will try to go w/o and morning ciggies, just coffee and fresh air outside. I will also stop getting up earlier then I need to, giving myself less time to think about having a smoke and more time getting ready for work..

I did discover Nicorette lozenges 4mg and been using those durring the day.

Also discovered that e-cig vapping is just as harsh on my lungs as smoking.. makes me caugh with congestion.. so I dont use them anymore at all.

I know I'll make it.. I dont seem to have that much trouble quitting, my main problem is STAYING that way...

Wanda45

Welcome to a wonderful place with wonderful people - who will laugh with you, cry with you and slap your had when you need it.

They will support you more than you could ever imagine.

Stay strong.

Wanda

Thomas3.20.2010

Welcome!

You reminded me again today how important it is to realize that Smoking makes absolutely nothing better! There's no such thing as just one! Thank You for that!

I have 6 Years Quit and I plan to have a Smoke FREE Day! I hope you do as well!

This site has made the difference for me!

cinjon

Good for you Stanley in setting your quit date.  I a pretty new to this as well,8 days, but this site is a miracle.  Stay close to it, read from from true exers, post your thoughts, fears and worries.  We are all here for you.  Be strong and true to your real being, the cig free one!  Make it a great day!

Strudel

Welcome Stanley! You are in the perfect place for support! I smoked for 40 years also - and thanks to this site - I quit almost 6 years ago! I second Nancy's recommendation to read Carr's book - it helped chencge the way I thought about smoking. Also - we have an acronym we use around here - N.O.P.E. - Not One Puff Ever! It sounds like you understand that idea! 

MarilynH

Welcome Stanley, be willing, determined and totally committed and you can and will be successful , lots of great advice and links for you to check out, do the recommended reading above me,stay close to this site because we're all here for you l

yelnats

Thanks, I was wondering what N.O.P.E meant 🙂 .. I think I'll do okay with my quit, it's the long term, staying smoke free that I need help with the most.. I'm going make a big NOPE poster for my bedroom wall. It would be just like me to get all self confindent and cocky after a few months of being smoke free and think I can have a few "safe puffs" LOL