cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day One

joycequit022316
0 12 17

Hello, I'm not sure what I'm doing, but here goes. I have been a smoker for almost fifty years. Said aloud, it seems unbelieveable to me. This will be about my fifth attempt at quitting. I am using Chantix, and I find that, despite it making me feel queasy, it really seems to be helping with the actual cravings. After one week on the medication, I was down to 4 cigarettes a day. It didn't seem real difficult to throw the leftovers away last night and so far, I'm okay. But I know that isn't going to be the case all the time. 

I've appreciated the texts this site has been sending to help prepare. I have surounded myself with all kinds of tips, but will appreciate reading how all of you are coping and succeeding! Some of you are counting days, some weeks or months, and some even years!  I'm going to be proud to mark my first 24 hours. 

Feel free to offer any and all advice to steer me in the right direction 🙂

12 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I successfuly quit using Chantix.  This CAN be your final quit.  Make the decision that you are not going to smoke NO MATTER WHAT and stick to it!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Dotgirl_1-28-16
WELCOME!!! WOOHOO WAY TO BE A QUITTER!!! I must say, your quit looks good on you! You have the right attitude...keep it in the day or in the moment...little by little the moments become minutes the minutes hours and then you will have your 24 hours...YOU ARE DOING THIS!!! You may want to follow the suggested steps on this site to educate yourself and prepare for a positive quit...sounds like you are doing!!! Just a auggestion...watch for triggers, have a plan and if you should get a craving...say no! Know that it will pass, stay strong! Woohoo yay you!!!
Barbara145

Hi Joyce.  Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  I smoked for 52 years.  I had multiple attempts to quit over the years.  This site has made all the difference along with making a promise to myself.  No matter what I was feeling, thinking or wanting a cigarette would never be the answer.  That was 866 days ago. This is a journey for each of us to discover who we really are.  Welcome.  You can do this.

Kinterralynn

I too am a serial quitter...  this time around will be my final quit.   I am using Chantix as well and I am on day Four of the quit.   The first three days are the roughest.  That's when your cravings will be really intense despite the help of the Chantix.  Just stay strong!  When you feel yourself giving in, run in place, down a glass of ice water,find some way to distract yourself!   

As for the queasiness - I found eating a piece of bread or some crackers first helps with that.  Just like being pregnant and dealing with morning sickness!  LOL - 

My best wishes to your quit, we can do this thing! 

JACKIE1-25-15

YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE.

froguelady

Welcome to EX and the help and support you need is here. I smoked 54 years  and will celebrate 5 years free from smoking next month, so you can do this, I used Wellbutrin and yes it does help. Please remember it is an aid it cannot quit for you. Please do the reading Nancy suggested as it so important to learn all you can about how nicotine addiction works.

NewMe

Welcome. In addition to the reading Nancy suggested, I would also recommend going to whyquit.com for some reading. Look for Freedom from Nicotine, The Journey Home. Doing a lot of reading about the nature of the addiction really helps inspire you to have a better attitude about quitting, which is crucial in the early days as you move through the physical withdrawal and more. Many also recommend bookending your days with this site to read (and write if you wish). There is an incredible amount of information and support available here. 

TerrieQuit

Hello and Welcome to EX. I am glad you are here! There is alot of good suggestions and reading materials above. Please do the reading and listen to the Elders, they know what they are talking about! Stay close to EX. We are very supportive!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

dpop
Welcome! I am also using Chantix and am in day 36...you can do this 😉
JACKIE1-25-15

. Here are the links NewMe was referring to>

Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101.  

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

http://whyquit.com/ffn/

joycequit022316

I just want to thank each of you for the encouraging words, advice, and awesome links. I'm working my way through every one of them and they are so helpful! I am 68 hours into my quit - but who is counting.....yes, I am. I have already seen to big improvements. 1) my blood pressure is already much lower and 2) My fasting blood sugar is lower as well. I've been reading that smoking can actually increase your blood sugar (which I've never heard - even from the doctors). So many, many, reasons not so smoke. Thank you all~!

Joyce