cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 5... Trouble sleeping

pianogal
1 11 66

Sleeping is still tough for me. I finally had a good night sleep last night but I had to take a unisom- and I hate the way it makes me feel the next morning. Nicotene is a stimulant, so I don't understand how it's absence is affecting my sleep. When I can't sleep, I also sometimes get panicky feelings- where my heart starts racing. Anyone with anxiety issues knows what I'm talking about. I've limited my caffeine to only morning time. I'm not exercising a whole lot- but I move all day long- walks to the park, gardening, swimming, housework.

If any of you have had trouble sleeping after you quit, could you let me know some of the things you've done in order to sleep better?

On a happier note... still without SMOKES! and finally becoming more productive and less incapacitated. AND- my husband is still with me! This is the longest he and I have ever made it.

11 Comments
bobbi9

Congrats on 5 days! I'm not sleeping either. I will for a few hours and then wake up again. If I get 3 or more hours at a stretch and wake up, I just get out of bed and go with it! Then I lay back down again after a short period of being up. Well, it's not an answer or the best idea, but it's all I know how to do right now. I hope you can get some rest and I'm happy that your hubby is still with you!! 🙂 Keep the quit!

hwc

This helped me understand the sleep disruptions that occurred with stopping the use of nicotine. Maybe it will help you:

http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/12275

Nicotine binds to receptors that control the release of various chemicals in our brains. One is dopamine, which regulates feeling of satisfaction and contentment. Another is seratonin, which is related to sleep cycles. When  you stop using nicotine, those receptors, and therefore, those chemical releases are out of balance. It takes two or three weeks without nicotine for the brain chemistry to change back to normal. Of course, after having our brain receptors hijacked all day, every day, for our entire adult lives, we don't know what "normal" is. For example, I didn't know it wasn't normal to wake up refreshed and not feeling like crap from physical junkie withdrawal and after poisoning myself all day the day before. Who knew?

A second issue is that nicotine causes caffeine to be metabolised up to twice as fast. So most people will need to cut back on caffeine when first quitting nicotine, especially at night or they will be wired.

megaspore

I don't know if it's because it's summer or what, but I've been waaaay tired since I quit.  I don't move much at all during the day while I've been on vacation.  I just sit and read, then go to sleep for 12 hours.  It's no fun 😞 

geminigypsylady

Oh yea I get it, I've had anxiety disorder all my life!   I fall asleep no problem but I'll wake 4-5 am and the panic issues will start-racing heart, sweating lightheaded and all.  I can't say if quitting smoking has made a difference so far -I'm 5 months smoke free maybe it will take more time for me to see a change.

WTG 5 days is awesome!  Keep it up stay strong and keep believing in yourself.

schwack

I get the anxiety too.  for me, I keep a paper bag close by to breathe into, and I have medication to take when it gets really bad.  But I find just walking a lot helps.  The sleep part for me is better when I am more active during the day.  The better I take care of my body the better it seems to take care of me.  Paradoxical yes. And I'm not drinking kwi mango pomegranite smoothies yet.  Still love my steak and all things butter.  I'll get there.  Most important thing for me is no matter what, I don't smoke about it.

The other thing that helps with my anxiety attacks is talking to someone.  Sometimes I'll talk my wife's ear off .. but it makes me feel better.  That and a good walk gets me winded anough that the shortness of breath goes away.

5 DAYS!  WOO HOO!!

bjmarks

I had the same problem, I couldn't sleep when I first quit, it lasted about a month. After that I went through the sleepiness that most quiters have where I was sleepy all the time. It will even out so don't get discouraged. I didn't take anything just kind of rode it out, if I couldn't sleep I would get up an read blogs or watch TV. Hang in there your doing great!!

pianogal

Thanks everyone for the comments, support and suggestions!

I keep reminding myself that what I feel now is not what I will feel a week, month, year from now.

litebkt

Well, I've only been smoke free for 10 days.... but I've been having trouble getting enough sleep as well.  I don't get tired until 2AM and then I'm up at 5AM.  And then I crash in the afternoon.  Fortunately, I'm not working now so a nap isn't such a bad thing.

In any case, if I can't sleep when I'm supposed to, I do a little astronomy and read.  

I'm also exercising every single morning, so hopefully, I will establish some sort of cycle that is sustainable in the near future.

MIchelle

danea

This is my first day, again (tried serveral times before), without smoking.  However, I have had trouble sleeping with and without cigs.  I found that valerian root helps reset your natural sleep clock.  It is a natural remedy found at most grocery stores.  

brenda61

That's great you quit together.  That is my hope for me and my spouse.  He hasn't quit yet but he is very supportive. Ten days is great. it will take a while but things will get better.

tree18

I have heard that valerian root is helpful-haven't tried it myself yet! I've actually been having the reverse happen to me. I am exhausted and have been trying to stay awake until 8:30 before going to bed. It's pretty strange because normally I have trouble sleeping. Just remember lack of sleep for a few days/weeks is worth it once you are smoke free! Also, another thing that helps me when I want one is just knowing that if quitting were fun or quitting were easy there would be a WHOLE lot of other people doing it!