cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 2

DaveT383
2 14 537

I joined this group 1583 days ago, July 16, 2013. I don't remember how long I quit for that time, but it probably wasn't too long. This is my first post in a long time because I am sitting here the evening of Day 2 and I want to smoke, but I also want to get through this and not smoke. How can anyone who has never smoked understand this addiction?  I'm like Mark Twain - it's so easy to quit, I've done it hundreds of times. The one thing I know for sure is that once you are addicted to nicotine, your brain, well, mine anyway, will never entirely set you free. My brain, I know, will always try now and then to convince me that a smoke is a good idea. 

My greatest success was quitting in July, 2000, and I stayed quit. I did! Right up until May, 2010 - pretty much 10 years. How ridiculously ironic is this little anecdote? My brain decided in May, 2010 that on this particular momentous occasion, a cigarette was a fine idea - Hey! Gimme one of those! Want to know where I was? I was in Tanzania at the bottom of Mt Kilimanjaro, having just finished the descent of a successful climb to the summit. WTF! Other smokers were on that trip, people who didn't make it to the top. I did. I hadn't smoked for 10 years,  I was 52 years old, and my guide kept saying, Polay, polay! Like a chameleon..." (Slowly, slowly, like a chameleon), and was driving me batshit crazy. "C'mon! Let's go!" "You are strong," he would say, "I know you are strong, but polay, polay, the altitude..." "Fuck that. Let's go." Yes, I could feel the effects of the altitude, but I also knew the symptoms of altitude sickness, and I knew I was fine. I made it. No problem. Never even had a headache. The final ascent was gasping for air in the freezing rain and howling wind, the pitch black, placing the next foot one at a time in a little point of light going up another step, and stopping, and another step, and pause again, and look where to place your foot next in a point of light, all while your lungs screamed for air.  The wind lashing with snow and rain, wind, but no air, as we stopped to rest at Gilman's Point. Gilman's Point, the last leg to the summit at Uhuru. Here, at Gilman's Point, so so ironically, so sardonically, all the guides were simply sitting on the rocks and peacefully smoking, while the hikers sucked hard to get enough oxygen. The final push to the summit and I got there just after sunrise. Full sun on Mawenzi, pause for a photo, celebrate and then start back down.

We took a dangerous route down, sliding through scree for many hundreds of meters, but finally made it back to Horombo, able quite nicely to breathe again, and then next day back at the bottom. I had done Kili. I had made it to the summit. We were partying at the bottom. Lots of people - other hikers, guides, porters, cooks, all having beers, laughing and talking, and my brain told me now was a good time, now was a good time, a damn fine time for a smoke. So fucking insidious. And so, for the last 7 years and 6 months, I have been smoking off and on, mostly on. 

And today is Day 2, almost time to go to bed, and maybe I'm going to make it past this the worst of all my mountains. And I have never written that Kili story before, but I have told it many many times over beers and smokes in the last 7 and a half years. Which mountain means more? I need to decide. Cigarettes. For me, the reason why this addiction is so demonic is because they are everywhere, and it is so easy to justify. Fucking cigarettes. One thing I need to remember is that every time I buy a pack, I am putting more money into the coffers of Marlboro, a giant global corporation whose product is specifically intended to poison and kill me slowly while I pay them for it. That's fucked. I think, maybe I will smoke tomorrow. But not tonight. I hope I can make it. A few more hours. Fuck you, Day 2. Fuck you, Marlboro. Think I'll plan on going swimming tomorrow.

14 Comments
Mortalzeus

Fantastic Story and thank you for sharing.  I love the mountain climbing analogy and so very true.  I see you as a pure adventurer and, if I may be so bold, doubt you would ever back down from a challenge!  However, embarking on this journey to free yourself from the addiction we all share, will be the challenge of a lifetime.  Pour your knowledge, experience, and frustration into this quit and share the daily joy and exhilaration of a smoke free life. 

Darren

ahhshucks

Amazing story.  Congrats for making that climb!

Our brains are a crazy thing when it comes to this smoking thing!  It seems like it will always be there.  Some how we just need to always ignore it and say no.  But it is powerful.

Good luck and hope to see you here often.

Joy

DaveT383

Darren, Thanks so much for your reply. As I write, it is just after 10pm here in Ho Chi Minh, nearing the end of this critical early day, and I have been reading reinforcement literature to stop myself from taking just one little single hit. Just one. I just want one pull on the vape, just one hit on a smoke - just one, but I have done this before, I just want to get through this. I am watching snooker, and th writing helps me, and so does your reply. Cheers, thanks for replying.

DaveT383

Joy,

Thanks for your reply. It helps me. It's the night of Day 2 here in Ho Chi Minh and I just want one hit, so your reply has helped because I can keep my fingers typing and depend on the support of other people who understand. My GF sure does not know what addiction to tobacco is. No clue. So thanks for your message. I appreciate it. And yeah... you are right - my worst enemy is under my hat and between my ears. 

ahhshucks

My hubby has no clue either.  I guess if you haven't smoked you wouldn't know.  We have to stick together!  Good luck!

elvan

This is a journey as you well know...ten years!  The only way to be smoke free is to be smoke free...Not One Puff Ever, I said NOPE over and over and over again at the beginning of my quit.  Now, I am three years and close to 10 months into it and the occasional crave is really a memory.  I do not know what smoking restrictions are like where you are but I know that it was getting harder and harder to find a place to smoke...even outdoors.  I was also getting sicker and sicker, I quit for pregnancies and I quit on my own several times but never for any length of time.  Once I found EX and I really accepted that this is an addiction, I read everything I could, I did the "My Quit Plan" that is on the first page of the site.  I came to the obvious conclusion that smoking never helped me with anything, it never relieved anything that I expected it to.  What it DID do was ravage my lungs and leave me in a pretty damaged state.  I have COPD and I know it is progressive but not smoking helps to slow its progression and exercise and a healthy diet help to keep me somewhat healthier.  

I would advise you to come here as often as you can, to blog, to read blogs and comment on them, and to become an active part of the community, it really does help to feel the support of others who know EXACTLY what you are talking about.  We have all been where you are because the only way out is through.  Your blog is amazingly exciting and interesting, also more than a little terrifying to someone who has difficulty breathing at ANY altitude.  Friends and family members who never smoked really do not understand the recovery from addiction but they can learn and they can be supportive.  They need to learn about addiction and try to understand that recovery is a journey and not an event...one day at a time.

Welcome back.

Ellen

Mac2222

Hi Dave - Thanks so much for writing your story. I am on Day 11. I'm happy we are both here. 

maryfreecig

Welcome back. Thanks for telling your quitting/smoking story. I agree, quitting is a big mountain to climb for many of us, and yet it is an incredible journey of second chance.  

Marlboro country has swallowed up a lot of people in very unpleasant ways and the tycoons know it, so hang onto to your rebellion against it--getting mad enough is a great quit tool.

Yes you can, one day at a time. 

Keep coming back, keep sharing.

joyeuxencore

DaveT383‌ wow. I picked up after 10 years quit at about the same age. Pure crazy but at a party a bit under the influence. You did it with some serious style buddy and oh how tough is it this time to stop??!! So great that you made it back to the site because sticking with the support group makes all the difference. I just hit 5 years quit this month and only because of the help I got here.

Welcome back and I look forward to reading your posts!! xo

DaveT383

Thank you very much for the comment and the support. Today is Day 6, and I am feeling less anxious than Days 2 and 3. Still lots of cravings, but that's the price to pay. Congratulations on 5 years! That's great!!

c2q

Try this mantra.

F U Philip Morris. British American and Imperial Brands. Japan Tobacco  and China Tobacco. F U  

Today is day 7. You're practically home free. 

Thanks for the brilliant post.

ps - don't forget to reset your quit stats. ta

elvan

Good for you, you are getting there.  You know well that it does get easier.  Congratulations on your first week!

DaveT383

Thanks very much! Day 9 today. Feeling much better than this time last week. Happy to not be coughing so much all day long like I was before. 

elvan

DaveT383‌ CONGRATULATIONS, better and better and better.  Tomorrow, you will have double digits of freedom!  Good for you.

Ellen

About the Author
My smoking story goes back to when my older brother stole a cigarette from my parents and in the dead of a winter day, we crept out of the house, huddled up behind a big green hydro box parked in somebody's suburban front lawn, got it lit and puffed on it. I was 8 years old.