cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 2

AmyandBrooke
0 8 99

Well I've completed day 2 and I'm proud of myself!  I began my quit journey first on 12/3/15 and smoked on the 3rd day for "parenting stress".  I smoked for a few days and then quit again unprepared for the "parenting stress". Not prepared = Unsuccessful. I took the following days after to really take a look at what I'm really stressed about. Facts:  I'm a mommy Facts: Brooke needs her mommy.  And the so called "parenting stress", well that stress will be there whether I smoke or not!  The past two days that I have not smoked have been unusually busy and chaotic. Not once did I lose my patience or get irritable.  The craving would come and then it would go.  Just like that.  Yes I was uncomfortable because I'm addicted to nicotine. My body and brain are pissed!  Well good!  Be pissed all it wants.  It's temporary and time will heal all things!  

My outlook is optimistic. I've had a successful 3 year quit in 2006. I know what I need to do.  I know that the junkie thinking is the nicotine beast.  And I know from experience if I don't give the beast any attention, he will go away!  

I hope to meet many of you and follow you all in your journey.

Amy (AmyandBrooke) 

8 Comments
kristen-9-7-15

Great job Amy on day 2!! As you continue your journey being smoke free, you'll noticed you'll be less stressed. Smoking caused it. 

Keep it up girl!

AmyandBrooke

How true! I've read smoking causes stress and anxiety. Who wants more of that.  Not me.

TerrieQuit

You are so right, Amy! Brooke needs her Mommy! Great job on your quit! No smoking required! Happy Holidays!

Puff-TM-Draggin

I am older than most of my children's friend's parents, so I guess that makes me an older dad of two young children, similar to you as a mother.  I can speak from experience that smoking created a certain degree of subconscious stress knowing that I was making a poor decision everytime I smoked that someday could take me from my kids before they don't need me anymore.  Yes, they are little triggers ... but if I am sincere in my commitment and responsibility to act in their best interest, quitting smoking has to be on my list of parenting tasks.  Not only will I be around longer to help them on with life but I will be an example of how I expect them to live their lives; not just some dude paying lip service to advice by which I didn't even abide.

On another tangent, have you ever been out shopping and crossed paths with one of those parents with a young child crying bloody murder because they wanted something they saw in the store?  I know how mortifying that is as a parent.  I know the temptation is incredibly great to give in and just get whatever they want so they will stop embarassing.  I mean, what must everyone be thinking, right?  But what I am really thinking when I see that happening is, "don't give in.  Just let them scream and cry; you will teach them they can't always have everything they want just because they want it."  The lesson far outweighs the distress, to you or to other customers.  The same holds true for quitting smoking.  Just because your brain is throwing a tantrum doesn't mean that you should give it it's way.  You simply need to use some of your good mommy sense on mommy when the craves cry.

Welcome to the group and keep on counting your days of good parenting.

NewMe

You are doing great, Amy. Congratulations on maintaining precisely the attitude you need to get through the rough part. Keep up the good attutude, and you will be a true nonsmoker again before you know it- and a stellar example of a good mother as well!

YoungAtHeart

One day at a time; sometimes one hour at a time is how it's done.  Remember to take slow, deep breaths when it gets difficult!

Hang in there! 

Nancy

Strudel

Congrats to you in your quit! 

AmyandBrooke

I'm pretty blown away by everyone's encouragement and support. I've never experienced this before.  Thank you to you all! Your comments helped a lot and especially today as it was a challenging day. Yikes. Cravings were right in my face.  Damn things.  Stayed strong And committed.  I had a mini fit and cried a bit but no one said quitting would be graceful. 

By the way, am I typing this on my message board or is a blog. Still trying to make my way around.  

I hope everyone had a blessed and grateful day ☺️

Amy