cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 1

lshende
1 6 34

Today is Day 1.  Feeling overwhelmed and anxious...but know this is the right choice!

6 Comments
mitsy

Hi Ishende,  I'm only on day 3 myself, but think of all the great things to come for us. This morning when I took my dog for his walk I couldn't have been happier even with the thunderstorm and rain.  We ran (yes ran ) skipped and I sang. Everyday is so much better. Keep happy thoughts with you and it will help keep you on track. 

Terri103

Most def the right choice!  Quitting is totally do-able.   There will be ups and downs, you'll feel like you're missing something.   I'm only 90+ days in but I shake my head and ask:   I did THAT for 35 years?? How stupid.   

I will say that early in my quit, I have no doubt I would have smoked....without the support of this great place.  You are free to be yourself and laugh cry complain scream!!  We will be here, and we've all experienced the physical, emotional, and mental aspects.   Come back!   Make this your forever quit!!

godschild619

Congratulations on your decision to quit!! It is the right choice, you will feel much better! Keep busy and find things to do with your hands. Stay close , we are always here for you. It isn't easy, but it is so worth it.  Are you quitting cold turkey?  

lshende

THANK YOU, Mitsy, Terri and Godschild619.  The support here is going to be key.  Congrats to all three of you too...inspiring.  Godschild619, I just happen to be on a med for depression that also helps with quitting, so I figured this was the best time to do it.

Enjoy the day!  I am off for a hike...hoefully without shortnedd of breath.  Day 2 is looking good.

joyeuxencore

Welcome & congratulations on wanting to take your life back!

Most important is making a decision that no matter how you ‘feel’, no matter what ‘happens’ or what you ‘think’ that you are not going to smoke because you don’t do that anymore.

With that decision we suggest a 'quit kit' composed of a list of distraction techniques and things to help you through like cinnamon sticks, crunchy things (carrots, celery, chips some hard candy, lots of water), lemons…biting into a lemon or sticking your head in the freezer and taking a deep breath gets you through. Also cutting straws in half to chew on. The trick is distraction as a crave only lasts 3 to 5 minutes and is gone whether or not you smoke!!!

It takes the mindset that we aren't giving up anything...we are doing it because we want to and not signing up for a lifetime of deprivation but a lifetime of freedom...that is the personal journey no one can take for us...

"YOU are worth SO MUCH MORE than a cigarette" xo

My favorite quit aid reading material:

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf  Easy Way to Quit/Alan Carr

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/aztec-blog/2012/10/16/things-to-do-instead-of-smoke

lshende

Thank you, joyeuxencore!!!  So helpful!