cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Cravings

txmarie
0 8 16

Smoke free 71 days but sad to admit that my cravings for a smoke seem to haunt me daily. The only thing that has kept me from lighting up is the desire to be smoke free is greater then the desire to smoke...!!!!!!!

Waiting for someone to wave that magic wand over me and say " cravings be gone" and I can get on with my life. 🙂 

8 Comments
jim_ohio

HELLO,  ARE U DOING ANY NRT THERAPIES........CRAVINGS SHOULD BE GONE.....MAYBE TRIGGERS STILL COME BUY, BUT THE PHYSIOLOGICAL CRAVINGS SHOULD BE GONE....GOOD LUCK JIM OHIO

YoungAtHeart

Hey!

If you are still getting daily cravings, you must not be distracting them away.  Remember all the tools from the early days of your quit?  Go for a brisk walk, inhale and exhale ever more slowly, bite into a lemon, do jumping jacks, a crossword puzzle, a computer game.  Do NOT let those thoughts linger in  your brain.  The better you get at distracting, the less often and intense the cravings should become!

I am sorry you are still feeling this way-----it is not what is normally the case.  You are doing remarkably well if you have stayed strong this long!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

cloud51

i was like that in another of my quits, my problem was i thought of the ciggerette as something good tasty relaxing, forgot why i quit, this time i keep the memory of why i quit it taste awful, it something that made me feel awful, and didn't relax me but actually made my heart race. Maybe if you can think back what your reasons were to quit in the first place. I hope this passes and can have days weeks months and not think of smoking.

Newfound_Joy

I still had cravings at 71 days, TxMarie.  Don't forget you are still in NML.  Are you reading Sarah's NML blogs posted every Wednesday for those of us who are in No Man's Land.  That was truly the hardest time for me because you THINK you got it nailed, but you are still fragile sometimes, and still have cravings sometimes.

Like Nancy said above, DISTRACT, DISTRACT, DISTRACT.  Do NOT fantasize about that cig because it is nasty and it is a KILLER. 

You have made it this far.  Just choose each day to not smoke just for today. 

Here is an EXCELLENT link to learn more about NML:  Hope this helps!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-da... 

ninepatch

There will come a day that you do not think about smoking.  Give yourself time to relearn your new life without the smokes.  Everything will remind you of smoking at first.  It does get so much easier.  Hang in there and keep your attitude positive with the NOPE mantra!  YES WE CAN and it does get easier. 

craftylady

It will come.  I promise.  One year out the thoughts still come some.  Much easier to laugh off and just ignore.  They only tend to come when stressed. 

lois2

lots of good advice here , take it to heart and hang on to your quit, i think of ciggs. also . i am on day 54, we can do this

Danno_11-10-12

And of course, NOPE. We don't do that anymore.  It will get better but attack those urges the same way you did early on in your quit.