cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Cravings

mz2wonderful70
2 10 104

I'm  doing better recognizing my triggers. It may sound crazy but I feel a void. Like something is missing 

10 Comments
Barbara145

There is something missing.  Most of us felt that. It took me quite awhile to stop missing my cigarettes and smoking. It got really good for me but it took time.

YoungAtHeart

Absolutely valid!

We smoked when we were happy, sad, relaxed, stressed, busy, bored, lonely, finished a chore, starting a chore, driving in the car, going to an event, leaving an event, celebrating, grieving.  Almost ALL we did involved smoking!  It is only natural, then, to feel that void!

Learn new ways to deal/celebrate/spend down time!  Change up when/where you do things.  Stay busy and distracted.  Slow/deep breaths, starting with this exercise and going slower and deeper with each repetition, are available to you any time, anywhere:

200w.gif

This IS going to get easier.  Hang in there until it does.

Nancy

jonimarie

@mz2wonderful70 hang in there and that void will dissipate in time.

maryfreecig

Of course you are not crazy. There is a void, but not forever. One day at a time stick with your quit and find out for yourself that you can live very, very well without a single puff, hit of nicotine.  I'm 10.5 years in and have no regrets at age 65, but if it weren't for staying quit through those early days--the ups and downs, I wouldn't have "found the gold at the end of the rainbow." It's there for everyone. Yes you can. Keep going.

McMoney

That void is where freedom lives. It's a space that feels empty now but really, it's getting to choose what you do in this moment instead of having that moment spoken for already. The  times when you used to be on auto-pilot, now you get to choose something else. Create new habits for yourself that don't cost a fortune and steal your breath, health, and life.  I'm rooting for you!  🌺

mz2wonderful70

Good morning thank you for the support. I am being thankful for the little things like waking up this morning and not having a craving for a cigarette.

Barbscloud

@mz2wonderful70 Many quitters describe the feeling  as losing their best friend.  As we know now, smoking never was a friend, but it accompanied us through every event and emotion in our lives.  Learning to cope without that crutch takes times.   But it will happen as you create new behaviors to replace turning to nicotine to compensate.

The important thing now it to take care of yourself.   That void will pass as time passes and you become more confident in your quit.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

That is huge @mz2wonderful70! Recognizing your triggers helps your stay the course and avoid relapse. Congratulations!

Quiana, EX Team 

biscuit9

@mz2wonderful70   One day at a time, it gets easier.  You have chosen freedom, so congraulations on your new way of thinking.  No more self-harm!  Allow your body to heal and let it thank you.  Stay strong and committed to the choice you made.