cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Checking in.

erma2
0 8 24

Hi everyone. I am doing okay I guess. I dont feel like i want a sickarette but i am very irritable. I am trying to keep busy and keep my mind off things but i am still very  irrirable. My patches for some odd reason wont stick for very long and that dont help. how long does it take for nicotine to get out of ones system? Any suggestions? Erma

8 Comments
YoungAtHeart

If you are using the patch, you continue to get nicotine in your system.

It takes three days for the nicotine to be out of your body if you don't use the patch, and a couple of weeks for the body to adjust to life without it.  You will be uncomfortable - but it does get easier and easier as time passes.

We call doing this without an NRT "smart turkey."  You get the physical withdrawal over in just a few weeks and then it's just the adjustment to life without the crutch we used for so long.

You can do it either way.  I just know you can!

Nancy

erma2

Thanks  Nancy

elvan

jonescarp's page tells you about getting the nicotine out.  Drink lots of water, Erma and accept the fact that you might be irritable, it's okay, that WILL pass.  I do find that since quitting, I am much more likely to speak my mind than I was when I was stuffing my feelings.  Hang in there...it really does get better.

MarilynH

Yes, you will do just fine, I also speak my mind now, I guess when I was smoking I'd have a cigarette instead of speaking up.I hope that is a good thing tee hee hee. Anyway it's better to be a little cranky for a while because it's so worth quitting smoking you will feel so much better before too much longer. 

Marilyn

Junior7

You can do it with or without the patch!  Don't worry about being a little irritable.   That will pass.  Have a great Sunday!

Thomas3.20.2010

If you want to keep the patch on you can use medical adhesive tape to tape it on. I don't recommend using the patch at night. Some people have nightmares. As long as you are on the patch, your focus must be on breaking associations with smoking: coffee/smoking, reward/smoking, afterdinner/smoking, etc... That's the whole point of NRTs. Then when you cut yourself backk and off of the patches you will be dealing with the actual nicotine withdrawal. Hopefully by then, you will have built up some skills and tools to help with the process. It's a good idea to set a clear deadline as to when you will stop the patches. Always follow the instructions on the box! People can and do overdose on patches, gum and other nicotine NRTs.

erma2

Thanks Thomas.

Sootie

The general thinking is that nicotine will be out of your system in 3-4 days. However, if you are using the patch it won't be!  The patch is putting nicoitine into your system.....the principle being that is helps with the withdrawal from smoking.

I did not use the patch so I can't help you much there. Many here did and they will give you advice and I believe the patch itself comes with specific instructions.

remember that even after nicotine is out of your system....you will still crave. that is when your addicted body will really start acting up and screaming.....WHERE is that stuff I want.... I need???!!!! This is whne you need to be strong. Craves will come and go and you can survive them but it is not easy....it is also not impossible. Just wait it out no matter how bad you feel. you can do this.

Stay Strong.