cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Breaking up is hard to do

Mandolinrain
12 16 178

We have all been there at one time or another in our life. We 'Let go' of a relationship that was not productive in our life.

Sometimes others around us could see it but at first...we couldn't. Even those we loved the most could see the damage it was causing us yet we continued to stay in the toxic relationship until finally...something just 'snapped or clicked' for us. What makes me snap may not make you snap....and I need to consider that more often...perhaps we all do.

When I made my first attempts to quit smoking I didn't listen to anyone around me. I thought I was in LOVE with the smoking and while it was very clear to those around me that I was in fact being led on or 'deceived', if you will, I guess I knew in the back of my mind somewhere they were right. I just was not truly ready to let go. In all actuality...I was not prepared. Period. I was foolishly thinking I could leave it anytime I wanted.

The thoughts then grew into thoughts of " I just can't let go~I can never live without them'. I was successful to block out any arguments as to why I COULD let go, and now as I think back, it was pure denial on my part.

Yet I had to go through that as well. It was for me, perhaps part of the walk on my quit journey, that I HAD to go through to get to the understanding I have now. 

While I have always understood we all have our own path to make it through the breakup stage, it has become even clearer to me that as much as I want someone to 'get it and/or get over it', it may not be their time yet...perhaps they have things they yet need to go through.

So again.... I look back over many posts from many people from many people and I see it. Crystal clear. Why was I so stubborn to think someone else can 'get it ' like I 'get it' right now? it's all going to happen for them on their time. Meanwhile I feel perhaps I may need to eat more humble pie and be patient. All good things are worth waiting for and EVERYONE who comes to this site is worth the wait. Oh the lessons I learn here, so wonderful....as are my teachers, all of you.

So See....I am still a work in progress.

We all are and I hope we always will be

Have a beautiful Hump day 

16 Comments
About the Author
Smoking is not an option for me. I no longer have a wishbone to quit smoking...I developed a backbone and I quit. When you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, you will quit smoking too.