cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

KourtneeLove

Anxiety and mental health

so it's like anxiety and ptsd etc go hand in hand for me... I've noticed that my anxiety has gotten better for the most part.  I have days where I'm wond up and anxious but I think I'm just getting used to having this extra energy and learning what to do with it and how to use it. My habit was a self medicating sedative for me.  Working on natural sedatives and other sedatives like breathing deeply and cbd... let's see how this goes! We can do this guys!  💪💕

Labels (1)
9 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@KourtneeLove Did you see the posts that the Mayo Team posts in the  Mayo Clinic Blog - EX Community  ? I know there are ones from September 2021 - November 2021 that talk about mental health. I believe there is also one more recent than that as well. Might be helpful to you.

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

@KourtneeLove   Glad to see your anxiety is improving.

Quitting Smoking Can Improve Mental Health - EX Community

Barb

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@KourtneeLove   How are you doing?

Barb

0 Kudos
Ebell1911

I am glad you shared that I was going to post about smoking and mental health problems when you quit smoking I was curious how to handle it. Thank you for your post it truly spark something deep in my soul I love. to see others who suffer mental health problems Thank you for sharing again

Bell-Avery
Nownana2

I have always been busy busy full of energy. I find things to dobesides cleaning laundry etc. I go on walks nature trails anything outdoors. I prepped the yard and I am starting a garden on April 19th...can't wait.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Nownana2 Welcome to the Ex.  Look forward to celebrating your quit date.

Barb

0 Kudos
Ebell1911

Well we're in the same boat when it comes to PDSD and anxiety but I have bi-polar it's sound like your satisfy with your life right now best of luck more power to you Well have a good day

Bell-Avery
0 Kudos

@KourtneeLove So glad to hear your anxiety is improving! I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (as well as Bipolar I--pretty severe), but I am thankfully appropriately medicated at this time and stable--even mostly happy--with the help of a fantastic shrink at the University of Cincinnati and a dynamite therapist (also at UC).

I too worry about my anxiety increasing as I quit smoking! I have been cutting back gradually and was doing well, until a major trigger--my anxiety-riddled and unmedicated Mother, with whom I now live--ramped up my stress/anxiety temporarily. My quit date is May 31, so looming terrifyingly near. 

Your story about using natural and other sedatives like deep breathing is inspiring and comfoting to me. Good luck and thanks for your post!

Nancy J Golden
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@NancyJaneGolden Welcome to the Ex and congrats on you upcoming quit.   There are many people with mental health issues that have made the commitment to quit.   You might want to check with you doctor to see if your medication might need adjusted when you quit.  Quitting smoking does have emotional side effects for most of us.   

I hope you 've been preparing for you quit.  Read lots of material on the site to learn about nicotine addiction and have a solid quit plan in place.   This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

I hope @KourtneeLove is still close by and will respond to your post.   We're here for you so reach  out anytime we can help.

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 31st. 

Here's a few posts from the Mayo Clinic that I hope you'll find helpful.

Quitting Smoking Can Improve Mental Health - EX Community

Using quitting medication in persons with a mental... - EX Community

Barb

0 Kudos