cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Drgnh3art

Mental health

Trying to quit is also mental and I have several mental problems. Any advice?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do it . Let your Dr know that you are quitting to be sure they are on board with you , and are also there to support you . Some meds may need adjustment and they know you best . Of course you have us for quit support as well . 

You can check out some recent posts in the Mayo clinic blog on mental health and quitting . You will find them in the blue section on the main page . As well read best of Ex . 

Perhaps reading some past posts here on health conditions may be helpful as well . There is always someone who understands or going through something similar that you can relate to . Younare not alone . 

Perhaps start a journal , either here in the journal / blog section , or at home so you can jot down your feelings .

FYI though . Most people respond in the journal section , however if you post here we can still see your posts if you need support as well . Do ( in that regard ) whatever is most comfortable for you . We understand . 

Participate as you are able to . Some people are not comfortable posting and more comfortable reading and that's ok too . Reach out anytime . 

Congrats on your decision to quit . You can do this . You already took a big step . 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Barbscloud @for posting the links ..  that's easier and helpful . 

Totally understand your your concern. Like some on here, I have mental health issues (anxiety/depression). I smoked 30 years since I was 12, with only one 3 month quit in graduate school. Most recently went on Wellbutrin in addition to a preexisting SSRI to quit. Have only 18 days free of those evil cigarettes so certainly not an expert. However, 2 ideas have been governing my quit with some success. First, is the idea, that cigarettes somehow curb your mental illness or help you focus. The truth is , for me and presumably others, I obviously was not calm or focused when I was was smoking or I would have been more productive and would not have been on antidepressants. The only fair conclusion to draw is that with stopping smoking at least you will be healthier. Possibly it may over the long term it may improve my focus and mental health. But, in any event, there is no net gain in continuing to smoke. I was not focused then and not focused now…just able to breath a bit better. Second, is I try with all of me to avoid the big lie that I can have “only one” to get through something or complete a project. It is never only one. I wish you great success on your journey! The Ex community has been very instrumental to my small success. The feedback provides the needed reinforcement and empathetic support needed!