cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

A Future and a Hope!

Being diagnosed with COPD is very emotionally upsetting for anybody. The #3 leading cause of death in the US is not just about life and death. It radically affects the Quality of Life and Lifestyle choices.

15% of our Community right here on BecomeanEX has already been diagnosed and as much as another 15% have COPD but don’t know it! Incredible but sadly true!

Quitting with COPD has different outcomes than for others because our breathing and coughing will not get better! So we have to put our hopes in other areas!

And yes, You DO have much to hope for!

Let’s start with what we know. COPD is chronic, progressive and incurable. So where’s the hope, let alone the future?

Yes, COPD is chronic but you can alleviate many of the daily symptoms by making some healthy lifestyle changes. Nutrition and Exercise make a BIG DIFFERENCE in how you feel and the energy you have to devote to the people you love!

Yes, COPD is progressive but smoking cessation can especially when diagnosed early slow down or even stop the progression of the disease. How cool is that?!

Yes, COPD is incurable but Research and Development are making leaps and bounds these days and even 5 or 10 years these days makes a giant difference in what the medical sciences are accomplishing on a daily basis. Ask me and I can tell you about some of the amazing work done to either relieve noninvasively the severe symptoms or even cure the disease!

Take heart! At least you know that you have COPD! You have been given an opportunity to do something about it! Those who don’t know may be still smoking away their lungs and their future! I pray to GOD that all smokers and EX smokers get a Spirometry Test that will tell them if they have COPD or not!

No matter what I have had COPD for 4 Years. Yes, I get sick and have EXacerbations. I cough, I’m short of breath often and I struggle with low energy levels. But my lung capacity has remained steady since I quit smoking. I’m convinced that I have fewer symptoms both daily and seasonally than I would have as a smoker and I know that I will die Addiction FREE whether from COPD or if a Mac Truck runs over me.

We don’t quit smoking so we won’t die – we quit smoking so we can LIVE FREE!

…a Future and a Hope! Jer. 29:11

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Wanda45

THank you for this post.  The main reason I quit is for my health, and that I am so afraid that I have early stage COPD.  Just haven't gotten the courage to go get checked out.  I will.

I am on day 36 smoke free, and am feeling so much better.  I still cough on occassion, but not every time I laugh, or talk. 

Your post is so encouraging.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos

You are so right, Thomas. I will turn 65 in July. I can still run, skip, jump, and dance. EXercise makes a huge difference, along with what we choose to enter our body. My husband, Ed, will turn 70 in a few months. He has COPD. He smoked 2 packs a day for 30 yrs. He quit for good in 1989, when his diagnosis was revealed. Life is beautiful. I dwell on my many blessings, not my burdens. GOD bless you Thomas, for all that you do, and all that you are, which is a loving, caring man. I love you, my dearest friend♥

0 Kudos

Wow Thomas you had me till the Mac truck thing (lol).  I also was diagnosed with moderate COPD last year.  How long I have had it before being diagnosed, hell I'll  never know.  What I do know is I have not had a cigarette for 141 days and I am living free.

Ms "J"

0 Kudos

I do have early COPD. COPD will not get me down. I WILL live life to the fullest that I am able to. I am still in cardiac rehab to improve everything as much as possible. I really appriciate every post you make my friend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and lungs!!!

Larry

0 Kudos
Courage

Same here folks, lucky me, it starts with chronic bronchitis, I have early COPD.  I was coughing and spewing so much that my lip hurt from wiping my mouth and all I could think at the time is where will I put the tissues in the summer, but never to quit the one thing killing me and causing it.  Powerful addiction if you're willing to work around that.  I was convinced I was going to just cough up blood one day.... 

Two and a half weeks in with brisk walks everyday no matter the weather and thank you G*d, I can breath and walk.  It only occured to me a little while ago that I don't walk around with a wad of disgusting tissues in my pockets.

Grateful... 

0 Kudos
Karin12

Thank you so much Thomas for these post. One never hears it from the people that have been there, only the none smokers. I have every reason to be alive and have 3 little blessing called Grandchildren. I have also started on breathing exicises to use with the craves. All set to go tomorrow and have a busy day planned.

I am so grateful for your help .....

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Thanks Thomas.    Jer 29:11.....one of my life versus!

0 Kudos
wishingstar

Thank you, Thomas for saring all the info that you do.   your a big help to many of us and we are bleesed to have you as friend and someone look up to 🙂

0 Kudos
JRC

Thanks for this important blog!

0 Kudos