cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to F&S Group

I know that faith and spirituality plays an important role in some members quit journeys, particularly those who have joined here in this group.  This group is here to ensure that people who choose to incorporate faith and spirituality into their quit journey can do so safely and openly amongst others who likely share similar beliefs instead of in the public areas.

Having a private group also gives me the ability as the Community Manager of EX to protect those who come here from others who might come to intentionally create conflict. Any member is permitted in this group so long as they're respectful to the beliefs of those in the group. Anyone not respecting other members of this group will be removed from the group and possibly the community entirely. 

To help me, in accordance with our community guidelines, please ensure that any posts that contain faith or spiritual based messaging be posted here rather than in public areas of the EX Community.

• This will help reduce the need for moving posts
  • It will reduce the likelihood that conflict will arise

Please note: While I am the owner of the group and an employee of Truth Initiative, I will not largely be participating other than to announce new members.

Now on to the fun stuff:

In order to get the group more acquainted with each other I ask you that you introduce yourself to the group and share how your faith and spirituality has impacted your quit journey in the comments below. 

• As new members request access I'll welcome them in this topic with an @mention so please say hello to them.
  • I also encourage you to invite others, when applicable, to  Faith & Spirituality - EX Community  Group as you see them posting around EX Community.
EX Community Admin Team
85 Replies

I think going public might be a good idea. Maybe add members and more responses, hopefully positive and uplifting ones.

SuzyQ411

I have heard from a prior contributor to this site that their input on the private vs. public issue is that the group remain "private not public .. then it’s not all over the net." I hope more will offer their opinion.

Maki

@CommunityAdmin 

Can you not keep it closed but at least try to change the welcome . It hasn’t even been tried after it’s been expressed by many here that the welcome is an issue and not necessarily that it’s a closed group .  When it was public many complained and I believe rightfully so imo . We have a diverse group of people some Christian some not .

Right now I see all that there is really no welcome just a fact and who  it’s owned by and it is a one liner that really is a put off to both Christian and non Christian imo ..

Could you please consult with those who might be able to help you put more welcoming words into it for both Christian and non Christian to join and that both places are open to all just not public .

I believe public posts can be seen across the internet and closed groups are not displayed if I were to search the ex community on the internet. I personally like that and feel it’s safer in that way . 

If it’s only a one liner that might make the difference then I think it’s worth a try to change it . If it doesn’t work , go from there , but really it’s up to the people to make this work or not . 

I look past it but not all can do that nor should they if they feel uncomfortable . 

Thanks 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Maki I'm up for changing the welcome message but I'd prefer to have some direction or suggestions from the group. We've only got room for a short blurb. You're referring to this section?...

Faith___Spirituality_-_EX_Community.png

 Todd, The EX Community Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
jewlz23

I'm Sherri or Jewlz23. Jewlz23 comes from my love of all things jewels. I used to make jewelry years ago, but depression hit and I quit doing that for a while. Then I started diamond painting about 3 years ago. 

I started here in January with the aim to quit and made it about 3-4 days. I did cut back to less than 7/day but I puffed on those 7 on and off until they were down to the nub. Needless to say that didn't work out so well. I now have a small cell lung cancer diagnosis as well as some copd. I was extremely sedentary for 5 years as I do battle depression along with everything else. Cigarettes seemed to give me a boost of dopamine in my brain. I am learning now to live without that and today is day 21 without a single puff. It was so hard to do as I was a smoker for 44 years, but as with all of us, it most likely is hard for each and every one of us. Just keep up moment by moment or day by day or whatever you need to do to keep away from them. Vaping is a big one now too. I understand that is a bad addiction just as heavy as cigarettes. Just remember we are all stronger than we think. Tap into your strength. Tap into God. He has helped me more than anything. I haven't had much depression for quite a few days now and I attest that to praying to him many times a day just getting to know him, and reading inspirational bible verses online. I don't have a bible big enough that I can read but the online bible is wonderful. God is amazing! A gentle amazing God who loves us all! My prayers go out to everyone here! 

Nice to meet everyone! 

❤️Sherri

@jewlz23 

number 21.jpg

TWENTY ONE DAYS NICOTINE FREE!

FANTASTIC JOB!!

GO GIRL!!!

Great news to hear that you have hit this fantastic milestone, Sherri. And we are so blessed to have you here with us on the F&S site. You have a sweet and caring spirit and "light up" this forum just by being here. So happy you chose to join us.

Your sharing of your faith helps strengthen us as well and is truly an inspiration. Today, your words "Tap into God" are like an anthem to me as they play around in my mind and urge me onward in the belief that God will carry me through.

On another note, I'll have to admit I had to google diamond painting as I had never heard of it before. It sounds like a fascinating hobby as I learned it's " a combination of cross-stitch and paint-by-numbers. You use an applicator to apply hundreds of sparkling resin rhinestones, one-by-one, on an adhesive color-coded canvas painting," she explains. The end result is a vivid, shimmering work of art." Sounds like it takes a lot of patience and plenty of artistic ability!

In closing, thanks for being you!

Suzy ❤️ 

@SuzyQ411, your message is just what I needed to hear. Thank you so very much!  Oh and yes!! I am 21 days old! It feels fantastic! I am so thankful that I have said some encouraging words to help you and others. I am not fluent in the bible, but hope to be more in the future. All I know is from what I have learned from others and from what God speaks to my heart. I don't hear actual words audibly, but in my mind I can hear or feel what God would want or the "What would Jesus do" mantra. Sometimes I will get a verse in my mind from the bible and look it up. A lot of times it will pertain to my situation at the time. I think this is something we can all tap into when speaking with Jesus. 

I do have a question if maybe you could help with. Reading the bible online is really something. There are so many different versions of the bible, that I am confused. I just usually choose the King James version because I grew up with that going to church on and off as a child. Then my mother had the King James bible. I don't want anything lost in translation but sometimes the passages can be difficult to understand. Is there a version that keeps with the King James message that could be easier to understand? 

Much love ❤️ to you SuzyQ411! I hope God has his shining light on you this very minute, and angels are singing to you but you may not hear because they are shy. 😄 

May God and his son Jesus bless everyone on this forum. May you all be able to talk to him freely and hear his guidance for you. Praise him, love him and worship him as he loves us all so very much. Even the people who are on the fence or who have never known him, he loves. I sit and meditate with prayer when I get a chance later in the evening and focus on feeling his light and love. It is beautiful for me. I hope it can be for everyone! 

❤️Sherri

Just wanted to add chemo day #2 went well. I don't feel any ill effects at all yet. But I am in the early stages of this. Next week is radiation, but I have to have a consult first and then it starts towards the end of the week. 

@jewlz23 I would recommend the new kings James version or NKJV for short. It falls in line with KJV but is easier to understand. I would also recommend NIV, as it is my personal favorite. The NIV is easier to understand but still tends to hold true to the original meaning of the text.

Thank you so much!  That makes good sense to me. So I will check them both out. The number of versions of the bible are so great that it is mind boggling. I like the motto of KISS, keep it simple, Sherri....lol

Thanks again!

❤️ Sherri

@jewlz23 

@wpwwusncorpsman 

I am with both of you regarding being torn on translations but as for me I find I am settling on the New King James version although I understand many rely on the NIV version.  According to the internet: 

"The New King James Version is a translation of the Bible in contemporary English. Published by Thomas Nelson, the complete NKJV was released in 1982. Wikipedia
Originally published: 1979
Original language: English
Abbreviation: NKJV
Complete Bible published: 1982"
I see it was revised again in 1984 as well.
I think it's a matter of personal preference...