cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahimsa

any vegans around? I'd like to chat.

Jump to solution

I'm new here and vegan. Found it solved my blood sugar troubles and all my blood tests are great now, says my Doctor.

I also discovered that eating fewer animal products helps ecologically as well. 

Anybody with questions about Plant Eating or recipes, let'r rip.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ahimsa

Glad to know you are using all the tools you listed available for a successful quit. I can't handle spices much, have allergies, but found the taste of vegetables unimproved by any sauces or many seasonings suits me fine. Probably bland for most folks. 

Thanks for the encouragement to get creative. Lately, this burden of smoking is all I can think about. So, once I stop, after a bit of grieving, I hope to get more creative about a lot of things. I thought maybe exploring a new cuisine might be interesting to take my mind off losing my "false friend." 

Thanks for checking back.  I'm quitting because I understood that the act of smoking is harmful, both to me and those I love. I'm want to live closer to my values. I don't want to bring harm to any living being, especially my precious self, this precious life. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Barbscloud

@ahimsa Not a vegan, but glad your back.

Barb

ahimsa

OK, guess no vegans. That's fine. Not for everybody. 

Any body find cooking therapeutic here? How has it helped with cravings?

0 Kudos
Maki

I am not vegan @ahimsa but my son is , so cooking in my house is to fit both vegan and not vegan . Mind you I'm leaning towards going completely vegan as well .,We eat lots of spicy foods , lentils etc . Indian cooking is great for vegans . I agree cooking can be therapeutic .. get creative , eat healthy ,walk , all are good crave busters .

0 Kudos
ahimsa

Glad to know you are using all the tools you listed available for a successful quit. I can't handle spices much, have allergies, but found the taste of vegetables unimproved by any sauces or many seasonings suits me fine. Probably bland for most folks. 

Thanks for the encouragement to get creative. Lately, this burden of smoking is all I can think about. So, once I stop, after a bit of grieving, I hope to get more creative about a lot of things. I thought maybe exploring a new cuisine might be interesting to take my mind off losing my "false friend." 

Thanks for checking back.  I'm quitting because I understood that the act of smoking is harmful, both to me and those I love. I'm want to live closer to my values. I don't want to bring harm to any living being, especially my precious self, this precious life. 

Justdeda1

@ahimsa, hi!

I’m not sure if I’m vegan, does Dr. Fuhrman count as vegan?  I have a few incredible recipes, including a loaf that includes invisible nutritional yeast, walnuts, chia, hemp seed and flax seeds, hidden behind under and between kale, spinach, zucchini, French green beans, whole oats, onion, garlic…I don’t remember what else! And recently found another for a kiwi/date/pecan crème/hazelnut fridge cake.  I tried it with green kiwis, next will be with the gold ones (-:

Let me know if you’re still interested, I’ll direct you!

deda

0 Kudos
jtmoney21

I am also Vegan. I would love to talk food! 

ahimsa

so what's your story? How did you come to eat vegan? As I remember it, I got started with it from what I read about lowering blood sugar and then of course animal cruelty. I am from the farm where we grew our own meat sometimes, so I didn't quite relate to only the animal part. But then when I considered how little I could actually do to help the planet, I decided to do what I could do. 

I see it as a living statement against the industrial food system that wastes and plunders resources and also as I became more thoughtful about it, the idea of having to kill another sentient, living creature gave me pause. 

How did vegan enter your life, or were you lucky enough to have a household who brought you up that way? 

0 Kudos
ahimsa

Also, in considering my smoking habit, I understood that land that could grow food was being used for tobacco a plant now used incorrectly which takes life, which really got my need to stop fueled more. Non-harming is the way to live.

Amycorn

I have gone vegan more times than quitting smoking. Watching the documentary Forks over knives and fat sick and nearly dead on Netflix and YouTube is what got me started… I guess I probably need to rewatch it about once a month to keep me motivated.  I want to say plant based diet more so than vegan as I try and skip the vegan junk food.  I have great intentions and so well for awhile then I cheat.   Sour cream is my downfall.   I can do vegetarian easily.  Meat I can easily go without but dairy is my struggle and TBH I think it harms my body worse.  I’ve tried vegan alternatives for sour cream, and just couldn’t find any.  Cottage cheese is something else that I really am fond of. I never liked it growing up but as an adult love it with a little salt and pepper I’m only on day four of my quit from vaping and I’m really craving starchy foods. I love all vegetables, toast with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper throw in an air fryer. Unfortunately, potatoes, sliced in half lengthwise, then half again than half again making pieces 1/6 of a potato tossed with a tablespoon of olive oil, and some tony Chachere‘s thrown in the air fryer for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes the perfect french fry add some cayenne or are use spicy ketchup has been my substitute vape.  I also love vegetable soup, which is basically a vegetable broth covering potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and garlic and then once I’ve simmer it for a couple of hours I had a canna tomato paste and some cayenne salt and pepper. I also do raw juice in my Nama juicer. Carrot, apple and ginger is one that I really love and then my second favorite is kale cucumber and pear.