cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
efisch493

No Support

Hi everyone,

I want to quit, but I feel like I don't have any support that understands. Every time I bring it up to family they just say "if you don't want to then stop". I really wish it was that easy, I could use any tips and tricks you all have. 

Labels (3)
5 Replies

All the support you need to quit is right here.  I encourage you to "Post a Journal/Blog" from the  Main EX Home Screen page to introduce yourself to the community.  In the meantime, this is what worked for me. It's doable. You CAN do it too!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"My Quit Plan

Educate yourself about your nicotine addiction (it is NOT just a bad habit!). The more you truly understand what nicotine has done to your mind as well as your body the easier it will be for you to take back control of your life. It then becomes VERY doable for you to get & stay quit.

Think out & put together a Quit Plan & Quit Kit. Write down the reasons you have chosen to quit. Make a list of the distractions & substitution tools you will use, and activities that will help you over the "humps". Remember TRIUMPH is the word "TRI" with a little more "UMPH".

Practice "Mini-Quits" for a week or two before your Quit Date -- change up when, where & why you smoke to give yourself a head start on breaking not only your smoking habits but the psychological associations & dependencies you've ingrained within yourself & your life. Although not the purpose of a mini-quit, a normal consequence of it not feeling normal or "right" is reduced smoking.

Research & decide whether you will use any aids (NRT or prescription) -- how much & how long will you use it/them. Plan when & how you will discontinue their use.

Make a list of mantras you will use & positive affirmations (for mindset) that speak to you. Ban all negativity from your self-talk.

Pledge daily. Commit yourself to one full year of focusing on your quit -- no matter how you may feel each day, no matter what you may tell yourself, and no matter what happens to you. Keep yourself & your Stay Quit the priority.

Consider keeping a daily journal for the first year (at least) of your quit. It's helpful to remember in detail those first 3 days, first 3 weeks, first 3 months as more time passes & serves as a "Personal Relapse Insurance Policy" on how you felt, what you were thinking, and what you went through to gain back your Freedom & restart your life. It documents just how far you have come.

Choose continued personal empowerment over instant gratification. This will be a journey that is filled with self-discovery & will be life changing if you let it be for you. It is absolutely worth whatever it takes for you to gain & keep your Freedom from nicotine addiction. I promise!

The worst day to quit smoking is tomorrow. The best day would have been yesterday. The ideal day is NOW. Do it TODAY."

Barbscloud

@efisch493 Welcome to the Ex. Glad you posted to introduce yourself . You came to the right place--that's what we're here for.  Many quitters don't have the support they need, often because other's don't understand nicotine is an addiction.  Have you considered using any quit aids.  Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers made the physical withdrawal so much easier for me.

Take the time to learn about this addiction and have a plan in place.   After 50 years of smoking and many attempts at quitting, I finally learned how to quit when I found the Ex. This link is a great place to get you started.  Identify the tools you'll use, how to cope with cravings, and creating new associations to replace smoking.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We all have our favorites to deal with cravings.  I used Sour Patch Kids, chewing on straws,  video games, keeping busy, exercise, and spending lots of time on the Ex.   If you're able, walking is a great way to refocus your thoughts and get that added boost of dopamine lost when quitting.  And don't forget your deep breathing exercises.  They're a great stress reliever.

Barbscloud_0-1682518691596.gif

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

We're here for you, so reach out anytime you want to share, need support, or to support other quitters.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

champsin97

Stick around here and you will receive all the support you could ever need.    Get all the information and tools you can.  Make a plan and stick to it.  Be honest with your friends and loved ones.  Tell them how important this is to you.  Stay close and stay strong.

ofcourse

I know this is hard. I'm doing it myself, one moment, one urge at a time. Today is my 13th smoke-free day. I don't feel like I have a lot of support sometimes. I remind myself that I'm the one doing this (Quitting). I'm the one with the power and strength to do this (even when I don't feel that powerful or strong). Ultimately I'm the only one who really can do this for myself, one choice at a time. I'm taking back the power I gave away every time I lit up. 

I'm using a patch daily and I feel like it's supporting my body while I work on dealing with my feelings and urges. I'm creating new patterns in my daily life that are different from when I was smoking. For now, I don't go out on my deck which was the place I smoked the most. I'm drinking my coffee in a different place, I'm playing some games on my tablet after dinner instead of having a smoke. Just trying to shift my past patterns of behavior to get myself used to doing things differently than I did when I smoked. It feels unfamiliar because it is unfamiliar. Smoking was such an automatic thing I did. Now I'm making more conscious choices.

You DO have the power and strength to quit and stay quit and so do I. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@ofcourse Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 13 days of success.  Yes you're doing this, but that doesn't mean you have to do this alone.  We've been  there, so we couldn't 't be happier to support you on this journey to become and Ex.  

The Power of Support in Quitting Smoking

Good for you.  I so admire that you've done your homework and the preparation to achieve a successful quit. Creating new associations to replace smoking is the way to do this.  We have much in common.  I used quit aids, I couldn't go on my deck the first summer I quit, I changed where I drink my coffee and used video games as a part of my quit. 

Are you doing anything to replace lost dopamine?   Exercise is great, especially walking.  I would just walk out the door throughout the day. It's a great way to refocus your thoughts and get an added boost of dopamine.

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

I

0 Kudos