cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Justdeda1

Creating a signature for a post

Jump to solution

Hi, Community

I have created a signature for my posts, but am having trouble uploading it.  @CommunityAdmin  Thank you for your excellent interventions, and also for suggesting I ask for help in a public forum, so everyone with the same question can be helped (-:

The step by step instructions for creating a signature worked for me only with admin assist, and I have been working on tweaking it to make it "just so".  @CommunityAdmin, is there a foolproof way of getting this thing to work?  Maybe I didn't understand one of the steps?  Has anyone else had a successful address created?

Thanks in advance to any/all who can assist!

deda

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Hillel the Elder

in HTML would be:

<blockquote>
<p><font color="#0000FF">If I am not for myself, who will be for me?</font> <br /><font color="#0000FF">And if I am only for myself, what am I?</font> <br /><font color="#0000FF">And if not now, when?</font> <br /><font color="#0000FF">Hillel the Elder</font></p>
</blockquote>

There isn't a way to put a shape easily behind the text. Signatures should be kept small and should be purposeful for every post. Keep in mind it will show with every Discussion Topic you participate on.

Mine is just.

Mark, EX Community Manager

Next Step:

1. Create a reply to this message and only put what you envision your signature to be.
    1. See the Purple text at the top as an example. 
    2. Keep in mind, formatting should all be done with the tools the reply function here on the community provides.
    3. Do not use any outside word processing application to do so as it adds a lot of junk formatting that isn't possble on the community.
  2. Post your signature using the Reply button and I'll take care of figuring out the HTML.
EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Justdeda1 The signature can be a bit challenging as it could require a bit of HTML knowledge if you want to make it formatted nicely. I can make a screen capture to show you how you can do it even without any html knowledge but it will take several steps. But first...

What are you hoping to have? 

If you formatted it in a reply to this post, what would it look like? 

Your signature appears above. I saw that you had an image for a little while but it was really hard to read so I updated your signature to replicate the image as best I could.

Once I post this, my signature should appear just below this last period.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Justdeda1

@CommunityAdmin 

I am pasting the before and after of the HTML I attempted to put into the siggy box-- got an error message after saving: Your setting's value has been changed because invalid HTML was found. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the value and re-submit the form when you are satisfied. Here is the HTML copied after the invalid HTML was removed:

<h1><font color="#808080"><font size="2"><i>If I am not for myself, who will be for me?</i></font></font></h1><br /><h1><font color="#808080"><font size="2"><i>And if I am only for myself, what am I?</i></font></font></h1><br /><h1><font color="#808080"><font size="2"><i>And if not now, when?</i></font></font></h1><br /><h1><font color="#808080"><font size="2"><i>Hillel the Elder</i></font></font></h1>

Here is a copy of the HTML before saving and being corrected:

<h1><font color="#808080"><font size="2"><i>If I am not for myself, who will be for me?</i></font></font></h1><br /><h1><font color="#808080"><font size="2"><i>And if I am only for myself, what am I?</i></font></font></h1><br /><h1><font color="#808080"><font size="2"><i>And if not now, when?</i></font></font></h1><br /><h1><font color="#808080"><font size="2"><i>Hillel the Elder</i></font></font></h1>

btw, not sure why the font size is 2, unless that's an HTML for 9?  I created the new one differently than the last:  this is done in LibreOfficeWriter, using the "art" formatting in a new document.  I tried to convert it to HTML right there in the document, but, naturally, couldn't make it happen.  The LibreWriter is very similar to MS Word, if you're not familiar with it.

I don't see a difference between the two, but the program did, and you will, I'm sure (-:

Thanks, ongoing!

deda

0 Kudos
Justdeda1

Oh dear.  My paragraph formatting is gone, there was not supposed to be so much space between lines.  My color is correct, as is the font size, type and formatting.  There is a background shape in another color that is missing.  And, of course, I apparently did not save the entire quotation, will do it again. 

Here is a screenshot of what I'm trying to create:

Screenshot (3).png

I'm also going to give your step by step one more try, and paste my result.  Then we can see what comes out, and if it needs fixing. 

0 Kudos
Justdeda1

The transfer process removed the first line and the last, as well as the paragraph formatting and the color frame. 

Any assistance will be truly appreciated.  Flowers, even, you might get (-:

Thanks,

deda

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
And if I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?
Hillel the Elder

in HTML would be:

<blockquote>
<p><font color="#0000FF">If I am not for myself, who will be for me?</font> <br /><font color="#0000FF">And if I am only for myself, what am I?</font> <br /><font color="#0000FF">And if not now, when?</font> <br /><font color="#0000FF">Hillel the Elder</font></p>
</blockquote>

There isn't a way to put a shape easily behind the text. Signatures should be kept small and should be purposeful for every post. Keep in mind it will show with every Discussion Topic you participate on.

Mine is just.

Mark, EX Community Manager

Next Step:

1. Create a reply to this message and only put what you envision your signature to be.
    1. See the Purple text at the top as an example. 
    2. Keep in mind, formatting should all be done with the tools the reply function here on the community provides.
    3. Do not use any outside word processing application to do so as it adds a lot of junk formatting that isn't possble on the community.
  2. Post your signature using the Reply button and I'll take care of figuring out the HTML.
EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Justdeda1

@CommunityAdminThanks for your explanations-- I tried to delete my signature yesterday, but I saw today that it didn't take.  So I tried again today, and am hoping for the best.  I think I'm going to leave the whole siggy thing for another time, keeping in mind what you said about the signature should relate to the post.  I was putting a signature that related to my philosophy, instead.  I can see that that would not always be appropos the post. 

Here's a little something for your windowsill or table (-:

Thank You

deda

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Justdeda1 Understood about wanting to share your philosophy. However probably best to keep it simple. It will show on all Discussion posts. So most places in your posts and replies except for Journals/Blogs, Mayo Blog and EX Blog.

For example.

Your signature could be:

Dede
Quit Smoking on 3/6/23
Here for Support and helping others. Looking for Compassion

or 

Dede
Smober since 3/6/23
Here for Support. Looking for Tough Love

or

Dede
Tobacco Free since March 6, 2023
Looking for Support. I need compassion and tough love.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Justdeda1

@CommunityAdmin 

I understand.  I'll try some of those.  Meanwhile, I hope there will be a cessation of siggies until I try again.  Thanks again!  Enjoy the flowers (-:

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Justdeda1 Here is a way you can create the signature yourself. Watch the animation to learn how.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos