cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Msmith82487

Almost Ready

I’m almost ready to quit and need to do it already. I consider quitting vaping about every day. I’m sober from all other substances and this is my one last crutch. There’s some fear around not having something, but there’s also so much freedom there too. I’ve tried a lot of ways to quit, from patches, gum, hypnosis, and none of it has helped. Any advice or suggestions? 

7 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Msmith82487 You've made the best decision you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definitely the best gift that any of us for giving ourselves the Gift of LIFE! There's many different ways of quitting you'll find which way will work for you, please read everything you can there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's definitely NOT easy BUT it's absolutely doable AND totally worth it to be Free stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can! 

Barbscloud

@Msmith82487 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.

No matter the source, nicotine is an addictive chemical so yes it can be hard to quit. The fact that you vape almost anywhere doesn't make it any easier.

The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation has made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. 

No matter how you choose to quit, cold turkey or with aids, the key is education and preparation.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers and they made  the physical withdrawal much easier. 

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too. We're here to support you on your journey. So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many of  by taking the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Look forward to celebrating with you on Nov. 1st if not sooner.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

Something you may consider is trying combination therapy with the patch and gum or patch and lozenge-you can find more information here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-medications/over-the-counter-otc-medications/what-is-combination...

Also, you might try to delay vaping when you have a craving by doing something else first and/or trying to chew on a straw or have a mint or something like that to help re-train your brain you don't need to vape right away when you think about it. Another way to delay is to put the vape in an out of the way location (like in your vehicle when you're at home or work) or in the trunk when you're driving. 

Just a few ideas to get you thinking! 🙂 Glad you're here! 

~Margaret, EX Community Admin Team

EX Community Admin Team
Maki

Try the dot method , it may help , it can be used cold turkey or with an aid . 
https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/The-black-dot/ba-p/2033612

Msmith82487

What is the dot method? 

0 Kudos
biscuit9

Remind yourself that when you quit nicotine, you are not givng something up, but GAINING your LIFE back.  Attitude and mindset is very important.  READ and educate how big tobacco has made their products highly addictive and understand you are an addict by design.  Decide what tools you will use to bridge you from a smoking to a non-smoking LIFE.  Straws, cold water, hard candy, licorice stick, nrt, flavored tea, etc.  I wrote alot in the very beginning, to get through the craves.  I read alot about how awful nic is to keep me committed.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Msmith82487 

@Maki describes the dot method here: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/The-black-dot/ba-p/2033612

Let us know what you think! 🙂

~Margaret

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos