cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KayamiLyn

Knitting For The Homeless

This past November we had a Christmas Bazaar at our church. The ladies agreed that those of us who could knit and crochet would make scarves, hats, mittens and fingerless gloves (and maybe a few pairs of slippers) and those who had the patience could/would make some lapblankets. I've chosen since I'm a crazy knitter that I would make plenty for the fundraiser, but donate half of what I make to our homeless shelter for those who are homeless. I've been homeless and I know how valuable these items can be, especially early on in the fall before the emergency shelters open for the cold weather.

Since having to keep myself mentally and physicaly busy during my quit, knitting comes naturally. So my goal is to make 20 sets with fingerless gloves to go with them. Ten sets will go to the shelter. The remaining 10 will go to the 2023 Christmas Bazaar. I'm hoping this will be an annual charity for me. I know the quit doesn't just become magikal and I'll have to keep myself busy for quite a long while. 

I'm not asking anyone for anything, nor am I asking anyone to do this, but thought I'd share my FOREVER QUIT idea!

Love & Blessings
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Barbscloud

@KayamiLyn Keeping your hands busy is a great way to keep from smoking.   I'm not a knitter, but it's wonderful that you're doing this for those in needs.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

GREAT idea all around!

😊

biscuit9

What a wonderful thing for you to do.  Makes you feel good and helps someone out.

I crochet, and it's the closest I come to being an artist.  My husband is a real artist.  He creates art out of wood and metal and I am always amazed.  So, when I crochet with a pattern, I can "create" also.  I learned to crochet as a child, from my mother, another person who could make beautiful leather goods and she also had a talent making things out of rope.  I can barely draw stick figures,  but I can crochet some of the most beautiful hats, blankets, stuffed animal toys, you name it.  All I need is a pattern and I feel like an artist.  

KayamiLyn

@biscuit9  You are an artist with your crochet. No doubt about it. Everyone is an artist. Each person has their own talent. I'd love to see pictures of your creations you've crocheted!

I learned to crochet from my mom when I was young too! But my passion is with knitting. I learned to knit from a blind woman that I took care of for about a year. She had me close my eyes and feel the yarn and needle. I amaze my husband when he looks over and finds my hands working the needles and I'm staring at the tv lol. I think that's why my passion is with knitting is who I learned from and how I learned.

Love & Blessings