cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

How do I reduce the urge to smoke after triple bypass?

Jump to solution

Hello I had a triple bypass July 6 2021 , I have been using the patches for 52 days , I still have the urge to smoke what are some tips that could help me please I don't want to go back to smoking

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sweetplt

to Hi Mary and Welcome To Ex’s… @marytuberville5 

I am so glad you found our site.  I am not sure you can reduce the urges to smoke in the early days quit.  However, you can redirect the urges by talking to yourself and reminding yourself, “you do not need a cigarette” and find something you are able to do since having surgery.  Perhaps taking a little walk, drinking lots of water, reading here and encouraging others on this journey, do a jigsaw puzzle,  if you have a higher being “pray”, etc., You can do this and your recent surgery says it all, your life depends on this quit.  Be sure to follow the directions when using the NRT (patches).  

We are here for you Mary, come and use us by blogging, posting etc., just don’t smoke…the longer you stay away from smoking, the stronger you will get and the weaker Nico gets.  Gotcha in my Thoughts, let us know how you are doing today….Colleen 996 DOF 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sweetplt

to Hi Mary and Welcome To Ex’s… @marytuberville5 

I am so glad you found our site.  I am not sure you can reduce the urges to smoke in the early days quit.  However, you can redirect the urges by talking to yourself and reminding yourself, “you do not need a cigarette” and find something you are able to do since having surgery.  Perhaps taking a little walk, drinking lots of water, reading here and encouraging others on this journey, do a jigsaw puzzle,  if you have a higher being “pray”, etc., You can do this and your recent surgery says it all, your life depends on this quit.  Be sure to follow the directions when using the NRT (patches).  

We are here for you Mary, come and use us by blogging, posting etc., just don’t smoke…the longer you stay away from smoking, the stronger you will get and the weaker Nico gets.  Gotcha in my Thoughts, let us know how you are doing today….Colleen 996 DOF 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure why this says I'm replying to sweetplt , this response is for @marytuberville5 .

Congrats on fifty three days quit . I don't think quitting smoking will be any different for you than it was for most of us . You will have to Distract , delay , discuss , drink water , do some deep breathing , do something different to distract . Take up new hobbies , write a list of things you have always wanted to try , and do them . ( of course check with your doctor first )  ie . I took up learning guitar by u tube because I landed up bedridden a while . Never too old to take a course , upgrade education etc . 

You have to realize quitting will take time and patience. Give it the four seasons , and remember each season will get easier . Remember how many years you smoked , so a year is not unreasonable to give yourself that patience . 

I think reading posts here will help get through the uncomfortable times and help you to know you aren't alone .

Again check with your dr . Walking really helps get past the urges . When  your dr gives the go ahead perhaps you can do that , or moderate excersise , volunteer work etc . 

I hope your recovery goes well . Good job on quitting smoking . You've done the best thing you can do and I hope you continue healing from surgery quickly and completely . So many good things ahead for you . Quitting smoking always gives back good things for our efforts . 

Take care , glad you are here . 

Barbscloud

@marytuberville5 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your 52 days.  If you can, going for a short walk is a great way to refocus your thinking.   If there are physical limitations, find some things to distract your thinking.   For example, I played video games and still do.

You might find this of interest.  Not everyone experiences it, but I found it helped to be aware of it.

No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Wishing you a speedy recovery.   Stay close!

Barb

Barb

0 Kudos
GrandmaCj

@marytuberville5 I truly hope that you can keep quit. Just remember that when you smoke you heal slower. After Just having a triple bypass surgery, I don't want to sound rude, but I think that it would be in your best interest to find something, anything to keep your hands busy. Video games are a great way to entertain yourself. Chew gum. Either the nicorette or your favorite gum. Good luck and I'll be praying for you 🙏 ❤ 

Caroline
0 Kudos