cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

COPD: for the half of us that don't know

One out of 8 Americans have COPD. 40 - 50% of our BecomeanEX community have it and the worst part is that fully half of those who have it don't even have a diagnosis yet. By the time they find out they will be well into Stage III or IV when their options for developing an effective maintenance plan have been seriously narrowed.

That's why my question today for COPD BecomeanEXers:

(1) when and under what circumstances did you get diagnosed?

(2) How did this contribute to your decision to quit smoking?

(3) How did having COPD make your quit journey different (good and bad)

(4) What improvements have you experienced since you quit smoking?

This is for the benefit of our entire community - to encourage them to please get a Spirometry Test and find out how your lungs are doing. It's a simple noninvasive breathing test that is very affordable, easy to access, and quite accurate.

If you have questions about the test or about COPD please ask me. I've spent 6 Years learning as much as I can on this subject and can give you some guidance.

We have members who have had mild to severe COPD including lung transplants and LVRS surgeries. They are welcoming to folks asking them about their condition because here we don't judge anybody. 

Ask away...

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TerrieQuit

Hi Thomas, I went for my tests recently and was told that I have moved to the high side of moderate C.O.P.D. but my breathing is better than a year ago because I quit smoking. Do you know how my C.O.P.D. could be worse but my breathing better? I was told that there is more scar tissue due to 4 times of pneumonia. I tried to ask more questions but they were in a rush. I was also told there was 111 stages, mild , moderate and severe and What I read here it says 4 stages. Thanks, they know I have a hard time understanding things, but they still tell me stuff and rush me.

Don't Quit on your Quit!

0 Kudos

What I thinkthey are telling you is that although your lung capacity has decreased - your use of that capacity has increased. This is because the constant irritation caused by smoking creates inflammation and the inflammation creates more mucus and the combination makes it harder for a person to breathe. Somebody with less lung capacity can have Oxygen sats in the high 90s even though somebody with more lung capacity can have very low oxygen sats. 

A comparable situation is an old car with a full tank of gas and bad gas mileage may not go as far as a new car with good gas mileage but a half tank of gas. Does that make sense?

By the way, see if you can get an RN contact from your insurance company. Many have a 24 hour phone and email access to provide more explanation for things the doctor said but doesn't have time to explain. A Respiratory Therapist could also answer all of your questions.

0 Kudos
tjanddj

Thank you Thomas for sharing this. I do hope you are feeling better today.

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Thank you Thomas, be sure to take extra good care of yourself! 

0 Kudos
elvan

My COPD resulted in lung volume reduction surgery in November of 2015.  I had been quit for a year and ten months.  I had the surgery because the upper portion of my lungs was so diseased that I was trapping air and I was left feeling so short of breath that the slightest exertion was difficult.  Since the surgery, my lower lobes have expanded and my lung sounds have gotten much better.  I still find myself short of breath with exertion but I can handle more than prior to the surgery.  The fatigue is probably my biggest problem.  I tire so easily and I am not sure how much of that is related to the COPD and how much is related to my Rheumatoid Arthritis.  BOTH increase fatigue.  My oxygen saturations are much higher since the surgery.  After I quit smoking, I still struggled with breathing and my oxygen saturations routinely dropped into the 80's, I have been on oxygen at night since May of 2015.  I am able to do more than prior to the surgery but I will never get back to where I should be...I will keep trying with regular exercise and a healthy diet.  My COPD is designated as "moderate" by my pulmonologist.

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I was examined by a Pulmonary Doctor last year and have 98-99% lung function.  I smoked a pack a day for 30+ years... go figure.  I know from 1st hand experience how horrible it is though. Both of my parents were life long smokers and had it.

0 Kudos