cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learn about special events for community members to come together, learn, and socialize

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Live Event | Lung Cancer Screening Saves Lives

Lung cancer causes more deaths than any other cancer every year in the United States. What makes this disease so deadly? 

When lung cancer has not yet spread to other organs, most people don’t experience any symptoms. By the time symptoms do emerge, the cancer has often spread to other organs in the body, making it much harder to treat. 

The good news is lung cancer screening can detect lung cancer before symptoms appear!

Lung cancer screening through low dose computed tomography (LDCT) is recommended for people who meet the following criteria: 

• Between the ages of 50-80
  • Have a 20+ pack-year smoking history
  • Either currently smoke or have quit smoking within the past 15 years. 

Despite the life-saving potential of lung cancer screening, less than 6% of those who are eligible undergo this simple and painless test. 

The American Lung Cancer Screening Initiative (www.alcsi.org) is working to increase awareness of lung cancer screening. Join us for a conversation with ALCSI founder and Harvard professor, Dr. Chi-Fu Jeffrey Yang, to get the facts about lung cancer and lung cancer screening on November 29th from 12:00-12:30 PM Eastern Time.

Dr. Yang will be talking about: 

• Who is eligible for lung cancer screening and why to get screened
  • How to find a lung cancer screening center near you
  • How the test works
  • How long it takes to get results and how to understand results you get

It’s going to be a great session. Join us so that, together, we can change the story of lung cancer, one screen at a time!

Ask your question* in the comments below and Dr. Yang will address some of the questions during the event. He'll respond later to questions he didn't get to during the event.

*Please ensure to not include any personally identifiable information or personal health information when asking your question.

About Dr. Yang

Dr. Yang Headshot.jpg

Dr. Chi-Fu Jeffrey Yang is a thoracic surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital and an Assistant Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He specializes in taking care of patients with lung cancer and his research focuses on lung cancer screening. He is also the founder of the American Lung Cancer Screening Initiative (ALCSI), a non-profit working to increase awareness of lung cancer screening. ALCSI has taught over 10,000 members from the general public about the importance of lung cancer screening. Dr. Yang has been deeply involved in outreach and advocacy work and is committed to increasing awareness of lung cancer screening.

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
24 Replies
Gail561

I'll see if I can log in during my lunch

Moclove

Awesome 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Gail561 That's great. Please ensure you register via the link above so you can add the event to your calendar with the link and so you get reminders. 

@Moclove be sure to register as well. 

EX Community Admin Team
Gail561

@CommunityAdmin ok I just registered

Gail561

Its giving me an error when I try to add it to Google calendar

0 Kudos
Strudel

@CommunityAdmin - Will do as far as spreading the word. Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend the webinar. I am currently working as a substitute teacher (a lot!) and I am scheduled to work that day. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Strudel Oh that is really neat! I really enjoyed several substitute teachers. One in particular would encourage us to get our work done and then he would tell us about the days when he ran a circus, organized a major parade and managed the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, WI. He encouraged us and taught us life lessons beyond the classroom. 🙂

EX Community Admin Team
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Gail561 In order for you to add to Google Calendar you'll need to be a registered Zoom user.  Did you login after clicking the Google Calendar link? I believe they do this so that they can update the calendar event if there are any changes prior to the event starting.

Please send an email to events@becomeanex.org with a picture of what you see after you login to Zoom and I will attempt to help with the Google Calendar issue.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Gail561

@CommunityAdmin I downloaded it to my phone and the error says :

Looks like you can't access this page right now. (200)

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Gail561 

If you click on the Zoom link it hasn’t started yet so that might be the error your getting.

If you click the Google calendar link after you get the email then it should ask you to login.  

Please email me at events@becomeanex.org with the link that gives you the error.  

EX Community Admin Team