cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pspups

you gotta really want to quit..

1 year ago I was smoking 3 packs of cigarettes per day. Have been smoking since age 15 and am 63 now. I started cutting back not because of health benefits but because the price of cigarettes doubled. So, I went from 3 packs to 1 pack per day, then another step down to 18, then 15 and currently at 13 per day. Have not tried any pills, patches or lozenges because I think 99% of quitting is that you have to really want to quit. I just stopped smoking in certain areas of the house...ie: my computer room...when I want a cigarette, I have to go to the living room and I limit myself to no more than 1 per hour. We also bought a new car recently and I have agreed with hubby not to smoke there either. When weather warms up, I plan on taking my smoke breaks outside, as I know my living room sometimes smells like a bar. Just some thoughts and looking forward to reading any suggestions ...it is particularly hard for me to do the 1 per hour rule at night when I am doing nothing but watching TV. I literally count the minutes until I can light up again.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sschober

Wow way to do form 3 pack a day.. down to only 13 I know when I cut back last spring I would come in house put my pack on the counter and my computer was on the other end of my kitchen I use to walk in and put everything in the table that way when I wanted a smoke  all I would have to do is reach behind me.. by putting  them on counter I would have to get up and walk over and thought  ehh. not worth it and the need would pass. in about 5 min. Keep up the good good work 

0 Kudos
pattymint

Wow! Sounds like you have gone through a lot of what it takes to quit.......that is good, feels good to cut back.

Like you said, you have to be ready.

Think about how good you feel  after cutting back. Feels good to have the willpower to cut back, hu?? Gives your self esteem a boost! Think about how good it will feel to not smoke at all. How proud you will be. How much better you will feel.

The more you tell yourself all the reasons why you  need to quit, the sooner you will be ready.

Maybe watch less t.v. so that you don't have that time to just sit around and think about smoking. Do crosswords or a puzzle while watching t.v? Paint your toenails, chew your nails, write a book. Clean the windows. Paint the house. Cut down to 1 per night. A lot of people seem to do good with 3 a day. Morning, noon and night. That's pretty much what I did. Then only in the morning. A couple days later, I decided if I can get through the day like that , then I shouldn't have to smoke at all! I was ready. There were times that I thought about smoking, but I reminded myself that I am not doing that anymore. And it worked..I'm never going to have another puff. I have decided that I am done.

Smoking a little isn't much differant than using nicotine replacements. Except that you are still smoking and the replacements help with breaking the habit of lighting up and that whole hand to mouth motion, watching the smoke leave your mouth ..ect. Getting past those habits can be substituted with something else and those habits go away quickly.  The patches and other aids are also great because you aren't getting the carbon dioxide and all those other horrible toxins that smoking pumps into you.

I have used patches, gum, inhaler and pills. They helped, but I never did stay quit for long.  I found, like you said, you have to be ready. You need to start convincing yourself that you are ready.

Try it...it can't hurt!

Read and write on this site...it helps a lot

Good luck

0 Kudos
pspups

Thank you, sschober and pattymint for your comments. I am going to try putting the cigarettes away from me in the kitchen while watching TV. Then I'll have to stand up to smoke. Right now the pack might as well have neon lights on it, flashing...SMOKE NOW, SMOKE NOW!

My hubby quit 4 years ago, 1 year after he had a stroke ..his 4th attempt and 100's of dollars worth of pills, lozenges and patches. I chewed some of his Nicorette gum and smoked at the same time.  I also worry more now about our weight..he is 300 lbs and I have put on 30 since trying to cut back. Trading one vice for another.

0 Kudos

Good job! 

I have recently cut down from 2 packs a day to 13 cigs a day. My quit day is next week. Though I am nervous about quitting, I am really ready this time.

My health over the past year has not been good. I have had pnmonia  twice, and several bouts of bronchitis. My doctor told me if I didn't quit soon, i'd been a prime candidate for emphysima . I have asthma also, so it is really ridiculous that I smoke in the first place.

Good luck to everyone!

0 Kudos
pspups

I have never had any of the bad effects of smoking...*yet*. My husband says if I do ever get sick, it will probably be a doozy! My main reason is because I simply can't afford to smoke as much as I used to. I am still ranging in area of 12-13 a day...the best I have ever done since starting to cut down was 8. I hope to make a new goal in the next few weeks..a max of 11 per day. The weather is slowly warming up here & will get me out of the house more and into my garden.

0 Kudos
onelasttime

i JUST CONNOT BELIEVE HOW LUCKY YOU ARE TO HAVE SMOKED 3 PACKS A DAY FOR 48 YEARS WITH NO  ADVERSE EFFECTS. YOU ARE VERY LUCKY THERE OF COURSE WE ALL KNOW IT CAN COME AT ANY TIME . YOU ARE TAKING THE RIGHT STEPS TO QUIT HAVE YOU ACTUALLY SET A QUIT DATE?OH TO STATISTICS SAY YOU WOULD HAVE TO GAIN 100 POUNDS TO RAISE THE HEALTH  RISK AS HIGH AS THAT OF SMOKING .YOU NEED TO VISIT WHYQUIT.COM ALSO TO UNDERSTAND THIS ADDICTION YOU HAVE. MY OPINION IS THE CUTTING BACK IS A GOOD WAY TO BREAK THE HAND TO MOUTH HABIT BUT YOU ARE STILL FEEDING THE NICOTINE ADDICTION AND SOONER OR LATER THE SMOKING WILL PICK BACK UP IF YOU DON'T COMPLETELY QUIT. YOU JUST HAVE TO DECIDE TO DO IT AND DO IT. IT WOULD BE HEALTHIER FOR YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT THE SECOND HAND SMOKE SINCE HE IS ALREADY IN ILL HEALTH. I WISH YOU THE BEST AND I HOPE YOU QUIT BEFORE THE HEALTH PROBLEM S CATCH UP TO YOU.YOU SOUND LIKE A SMART LADY AND YOU KNOW YOUR ARE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE..THINK ABOUT WHAT I HAVE SAID AND VISIT SOME SITES AND LEARN WHAT THIS ADDICTION IS AND HOW IT TERROEIZES YOU WHOLE BODY AND WHAT A PAINFUL DEATH IT CAN CAUSE AND I HOPE YOU DECIDE SOME DAY SOON YOU DON'T WANT O TAKE THESE CHANCES ANYMORE. GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY. SPRING IS ON THE WAY THEN WE CAN BUSY OURSELFS OUTSIDE IN THE FRESH AIR AND SUNSHINE.

0 Kudos