cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

katenalbert

what advice can anyone give me im trying to quit using the patch method

I am a long time smoker and a little nervous about quitting but ready to quit as well. im tired of it controlling my life and my children always asking why i smoke can i please stop and wondering if they will smoke because i do. any advice i am open for any advice at this point.

21 Replies

hop on my page and read the featured content.  Welcome !!!

elvan

katenalbert‌ Welcome to EX.  Not sure when you are quitting, is it now or are you planning a quit?  My oldest daughter quit smoking using the patch and I can tell you that two out of three of my kids smoked...one still does.  I think you use the instructions on the patch, I did not use NRT because I got really sick and HAD to quit.  I would suggest looking at JonesCarpeDiem‌'s page and reading what to expect the first 140 days, I would also suggest YoungAtHeart‌'s page.  Read Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" and don't really expect it to be easy...expect it to be a one day at a time journey.  Quitting is a journey to freedom AND a journey to get to know yourself without the numbing effects of nicotine.  You will learn to FEEL things with more intensity and honesty.  Smoking does nothing FOR you...it does lots TO you!

Ellen

Welcome, katenalbert.

I was a life-long smoker too and I quit.  YOU CAN too!  If you're going to be nervous, be nervous about NOT quitting, not quitting.  The consequences of smoking can be deadly.  The consequences of quitting smoking are a new life of FREEDOM, savings, and increased self-esteem.  The first thing to understand is that you are a nicotine addict.  We call ourselves smokers because that is the visual, but we smoke to get high on nicotine.

I've found the more you know about beating your addiction to nicotine, the easier it is to quit smoking. And that really is what it is all about. You don't really even want to smoke. Otherwise you wouldn't be here. But you are addicted to nicotine, (all of us here are, or were.)  Once you are on to his nicotine's ways and deceitful lies, you will find it within you to say, "NO MORE." Not One Puff Ever = N.O.P.E.

One of the best ways to get educated, in my opinion, is to read the Allen Carr book, The Easy Way To Quit Smoking.   You can find a link to the free online version here.  I also recommend doing the tasks outlined on this site in preparation for your quit, (even if you've already begun your quit,) because the first couple weeks, as you probably know already, are not what most people call fun, (sorry Mr. Carr.) But if you've planned ahead what you will do instead of smoking, since you won't be doing that anymore, you will get through.  Once you beat the addiction, you will still need to master the old associations you've wove with dopamine highs.  It is a process.  It is a journey.  The only way to the other side, to the freedom of living smoke-free, is through. You can do this!

There are a handful of members here we all affectionately refer to as Elders; folks with sturdy, steady quits under their belts that hang around simply to help newbies like you along. Read their blogs, take their advice, trust them. They are wise and they mean well.

Then, hang around here as much as you can.  Whine, cry, scream, (wait! hit the brakes! SCREEEEEECH!!!  What am I saying?) Laugh, giggle, smile and dance your way through this journey.  How difficult it is, more than anything else, is how you perceive it. You are not giving up anything. You are gaining everything, from a healthier body, to increased wealth,to greater self-esteem, to a whole new awakening on life! It truly is freedom and it's yours for the taking. Sometimes I wonder if it is not better to be an Ex-smoker than a Never-smoked. You enjoy the same freedoms as they but, having been a slave to addiction for so long, you appreciate freedom so much more.

So welcome aboard. We are all here to walk this journey with you. Educate, prepare, commit, and then quit. It really is as simple as that.

Be well.  Be happy.  Be FREE!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am so glad you are here!  Do the suggested prep work, hang around and participate.  You have taken the first step - ready to quit!  We were mostly all nervous as our quit dates approached.  Reading what everyone suggests will go a long way in alleviating that uncertainty that comes from change.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I also highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. 

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Welcome. Getting over the addiction is a process, one day at a time. One thing is for sure, the addiction can be put in the past. Relearning life (once upon a time none of us smoked so it's about relearning!) without the smokes is a worthwhile journey. Being a little nervous is normal, but YOU CAN do this!

Jennifer-Quit

I used the patch to aid in my quit.  Don't expect the patch to quit for you - you still have to work your quit.  I followed the guidelines suggested for using the patch and stepped down as instructed.  Read and educate yourself and stay close to this site for support.  Here is a link to a blog that lists 100 things to do besides smoke.  Maybe it will give you some ideas on how to stay busy!  Best wishes to you!

100 Things To Do Besides Smoke

Believe! We'll show you how! READ READ READ!

katenalbert

thank you so very much

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

EDUCATION IS THE KEY TO A SUCCESSFUL QUIT.  READ THE SUGGESTED MATERIALS.  BOOKEND YOUR DAYS HERE, STUDY, RESEARCH, BLOG, SCREAM, COME HERE FIRST FOR HELP.  nope will keep you free.  NOPE NOT ONE PUFF EVER.