cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kjhh

struggling

I’ve been struggling pretty bad with the motivation to get out of bed & get my day started. I know it’s the chemical imbalance from quitting, but i also have underlying mental health conditions (another reason why i wanted to quit but why it felt so hard.) what tips do you have for getting motivated and feeling good about quitting? a lot of my cravings come INTENSELY in the morning since i used to wake up with a hit. i haven’t since i stopped but it’s been a reoccurring feeling i’ve had since quitting and it feels hard to get over this bump in the road.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Barbscloud

@kjhh First of all do be patient with yourself.  You've made a major change in your life that has many physical repercussions.  Many quitters need to keep moving when they quit, while other's need more rest.

Have you created any new activities to replace the vaping behaviors?    Have you tried some exercises in the morning to get you moving.   Setting a goal to complete any activity each morning can reinforce the new habits you're creating.

I think many of us smoked/vaped first thing in the morning, so that's why a new routine is important.  I smoked with my coffee, so I changed the location to drinking it on Ex in the morning instead of sitting on the porch with my coffee, the dog and smoking away. 

Here are some tools from the Mayo Clinic to help with feeling better with your quit.

Positive Thinking - EX Community

And don't forget that you're doing great.

Barb

maryfreecig

7E33126C-E59E-41D1-B30F-51EBB5E71EF4.gif

Congratulations on your decision to quit and quitting. This is all about one day at a time, one step at a time. About feeling good--definitely keep some structure to your days no matter how you feel--fresh air and a good walk might help, having simple responsibilities, keeping up with tasks and errands is important.

A lot of us felt shocked about quitting, even with planning. It's natural to want to feel better--I think we face the flu or common cold with an understanding that it's going to be a few weeks before we are normal. But with quitting nicotine, it feels like the unknown is all there is out there and it can be so unnerving.

Good news, one day and one step at a time you will come back together. Stick with Ex. Join in by blogging and commenting if it helps you. Read and learn about what others are going through and doing to make there quit work. 

Big hug, hang in there, yes you can!!!

Screenshot_20221025-074827.jpg20220808_163610.jpg

McMoney

Hang in there, @kjhh! I say acknowledge that is hard and then decide to not wallow in it. Put work into finding a new routine that is exciting for you. Not like jumping out of air planes exciting but like savoring a cup of herbal tea first thing in the morning or doing 10 minutes of yoga or taking a hot shower first thing, or get dressed up even if you haven't anywhere in particular to go; do things that are suited to your personality. Be patient. Changing your lifestyle won't happen overnight. You've removed something harmful, you now get to replace it with things that are healthy and fun. Keep looking for the new you! 

- Meriah
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kjhh I'm sorry things have been hard. The first few days, weeks even months of quitting can be the most challenging. You may have strong regular cravings in the morning due to withdrawal because it sounds like when you use to wake up smoking would be the first thing you did. Having distractions in place could help since usually cravings last for a few moments. Having things to distract you could help motivation and thoughts about quitting. Have you ever thought about getting additional mental health support to support you through the process? I could help you tremendously with you overall mood.

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
biscuit9

@kjhh   Try doing a search on this site, search "mental health" and you will find results that may help you.

I fell into the “ needs more sleep” category. It helped me the past three weeks of quitting. I also take Zoloft for anxiety and depression and 100% have a hard time getting out of bed. Some things that have helped during the quit for me- If you drink coffee in the morning you could set it the night before so the smell gets you out of bed. Or as soon as you open your eyes open the curtains so you’re getting that vitamin d and also see the world is waking up with you. Lastly coming on ex and sharing it with us is a huge step. You are not an island. You are not alone. Thanks for sharing. 

kjhh

Thank all of you so much for your tips and support. It feels good knowing I have people who have gone through the same things I am. Thank you so much