cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

skypeople

still a newbie on stop smoking

will turn 62 years old at end of month and have smoked off and on since i was 18 and went into the Marine Corps in July 1966 where I learned to smoke and got hooked the first time; then after having rapid heart beat problems and just never felt good; shortness of breath, chest pains, and could go on; I quit the first time around April of 1984;  I did not smoke again for 15 years; I took a nasty fall down 11 or 12 concrete steps and had concussion and do not remember how or why I started smoking again; smoked until after a friend of mine, Tom, a vietnam veterans died of cancer in November 2004 and several months after that i gave away all my cigarettes and quit Feb. 2005;  I did ok and then got around other smokers and was under a lot of stress as having medical issues and a lot of pain; so started smoking in october 2006 and smoked until April 12, 2010 and have not smoked since.  I will admit I have been using nicotine gum as used that once before and was able to stop smoking and then stopped using the gum.  I was diagnosed with moderate COPD and have even more medical issues and know I have to quit now and this is like my last chance to get off cigarettes; tired of feeling miserable, coughing, shortness of breath and know if I continue I will end up like a lot of veterans I have seen at VA nursing homes that have gone thorugh amputatons; on oxygen twenty seven etc andjust do not want to be there in future.  Plus just lost my older brother (he was 10 months older then me) who was a heav smoker most of his ife to stage four throat cancer and by time he died it had spread to his chest, and also in bones as well.  He had to have a trach and also a feeding tube as he could not eat and got to where he could not even drink fluids; he died March 30, 2010.

0 Kudos
111 Replies
atl-sam

Damn, great story and I'm sorry to hear about hour losses.  As bad as it sounds, it is a great testiment to why people should quit.  I wish everyone who smokes could read your post.  I know your post will serve as motivation to many to go ahead and kick the habit.  Good luck on your quit.  I too quit in April (4/4/2010) and it has been the best decision I've made this year.  I have not been in an environment where there are many smokers so like you, that will be my real test.  So far so good.  Keep it up my friend.

0 Kudos
karenr

Good Luck, I quit yesterday at 8.45am and have not smoked one I have stopped so many times it is not even funny....i was on here 2 years ago and quit for 100 days then my business partner says lets smoke one I thought no big deal picked one up and started right back..I have COPD and my doctor says anyone that has smoked more then 10 years has it and does not even notice...My Mom died 04/05/2010 of cancer and I swore on her dying bed I would quit so this time it has to be the last time and I think I can because I cannot break a promise to her...g/l you can do it dont let those cigs beat you your bigger then them and alot smarter...Karen

0 Kudos
kelvan

very good

0 Kudos

If you wish to join the others - see you in the blogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
100-times

how do i change my quit date?

0 Kudos

i have only been a smoker for about 2.5 years and it wasnt the whole entire time either. I started when i was 19, depressed, and my parents didn't listen to me for too many years because all they do is work and left us alone with no interaction watsoever, technically what they did is considered child neglect for most of my life. But anyway here is what it came down to smoking was caused by my depression, and lack of outlet for my anger and despair. I started then quit because i was in boot cmp in the navy and had to quit for 2 months, it wasnt that bad cus i wasnt really addicted and forgot about cigarettes with all that yelling. Now after bootcamp i eventually started smoking again cus in A school you aren't allowed to do SHIT. fucking liberty policies for going out and had to sign out and all that bullshit. Then i went home and was a smoker for a while and then got sent over to japan. Now this was shit too because guess what liberty policies and constant out to see, so the only favorable activities were smoking and working otu, which i got entirely obsessed with. Now i am out and i quit for good, after smoking a little bit for a while, but it lost its taste, because i smoked socially in the navy, because i wasn't allowed to do shit. I seriously believe that smoking starts socially due to bad parenting, then just keeps going, but even so I quit cus I don't want to let the fact that i have bad parents ruin the rest of my life. So now I just work out for hours and drink water and breathe air instead of smoke.

0 Kudos
sara42

Next month will mark 9 years since my last cigarette. If you are still struggling with smoking, check out the website www.cleanbreak.com. They are the reason I have been smoke free for so long.

0 Kudos
stageit

Hello, Newbie to the site, and just started the program today.  I will be tracking my cigarettes for a week, and then quitting.  Does anyone else experience a lot of discomfort with the patches?  I am successful with the patches for about a week, and then the site where the patch has been gets really red and itchy and sore, and it makes me quit using them!  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
colleen409

Want to quit smoking in 7 days guarenteed?

http://paydotcom.net/r/79654/colleen409/26343259

0 Kudos
maryb613

Yikes!  Today is my official quit day.  It's one o'clock AM.  I'm ok for now because I smoked my last cigarette before 12.  I'm pretty sleepy but instead of having just one more before I go to sleep I'm simply going to lie down and try to fall asleep.  Should that not work I've got Valerian Root lined up as well as a warm glass of milk (yuck!)  Wish me luck.  Good luck to all you other Ex's out there too!

0 Kudos