cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nonsgm

so tired of dealing with the cravings

And What does everyone do about the depression that comes from quitting?

21 Replies
Iwannalife

nonsgm, I have read all the responses to your blog and each tell you to keep going, don't give up, offering you suggestions. Every one is right we all have been where you are right now and we all clawed, cried, and screamed our way through it . But the day my depression about quitting came to an end was when I quit fighting and started defending. I would get up each morning and I would start to defend ME. Each day I would pick one room I would enter it and claim that it was MINE it did not belong to nicotine any more than I did. I stripped all the curtains off the windows and washed them, some of them I had to wash several times to get the smell out of them, I washed the windows inside and out till they looked like there was no glass in them. You would be surprised how much of a film nicotine leaves on glass. I shampooed carpets and furniture and then put a coat of odor blocking paint on the walls, because I found out that no matter how many times you just wash the walls down you still have the odor from smoking. When I would finish a room I would hang a plaque in a predominant spot in the room. The plaque was simple was the message said "I hereby claim this space MINE" sometimes to win the hold that nicotine has on you, you have to accept that nicotine will try to control you but you just have to show it that you control it. Quitting is not an easy thing and I did it with a husband who smoked and would blow smoke in my face and tell me if you are going to quit you just have to get used to it. There were times that I would want a smoke so bad that I would go in the bathroom and cry to the point of making myself physically ill. so put on your armor and begin defending YOURSELF  and what is YOURS from the most vicious enemy you will ever have to fight, yourself.

Congrats on 5 months - I hope this message reached you before you let yourself be defeated. 

KMC56

I think we all have gone through the depression state...it's a 'loss'...., I talked

with my dr. , and we came up with a plan that suited me, that was a year ago, the depression is gone as well as my treatment.   Depression is no longer associated with the loss of my addiction, and can deal with situations in a more positive manner.   You'll get there, I smoked for 40 years, there are times...but sooo much more manageable than the early part of my quit.  And knowing the different stages of the quit, and where I am now, that's the shot in the arm I need, to continue to say N.O.P.E!

5 months is great...be proud...6 moths is better...congrats on the 4 months!

~Kathy