cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JHamilton1990

patch along with lozenge/gum

Has anyone used the patch and gum or lozenge together, my quit date is 8 days away and was wondering if this would help or if I should avoid doing it?

26 Replies
Magstoyou

Welcome to the site!

I used the patch and followed the directions on the box as directed.

Went down to the lowest mg patches and keep close to the site!!

Kept going forward and am now 1397 Days of Freedom. I kept a patch in my purse

incase I got a big crave, I promised myself I would put it on and know it would take a while for it to work.

Dale on this site is who I got that from.

Best wishes for a great Quit

Mags

0 Kudos
shashort

Not much to add just wanted to welcome you to the community and don't hestitate to ask questions or ask for help if needed. Loooking forward to following your journey.

0 Kudos
gardenancy8

Hi, welcome to the site!  You made a very important first step in coming here, you will learn so so much about the addiction and how it works and how you can have a successful quit.  I am a newbie also, just past the 2 month mark now. I had went and bought the nicotine gum, however after reading all about the addiction and how it only takes 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system, and then after that it is just triggers that make you want to smoke, I then decided to take it one day at a time.  I told myself if I needed the gum, it was there. But you know I got through the first day without them, and then the second and third.  And then I was like, why bother starting now, just to have to turn around and have to wean myself off the gum one day too.  If you follow all the great advice here and come here everyday, especially at the beginning of you quit, you will do real good!  I never realized how much a support group could help. I just happened to stumble upon this group.  And I thank God everyday for it!  

The other Nancy

0 Kudos
Sootie

I never used NRT's so can't be much help to you. I wanted to see an immediate monetary gain from quitting as I felt it would bolster my resolve. Each of us takes different paths. I think gardenancy8‌ as a newbie makes a lot of sense.......but you need to decide for yourself what will work for you. whatever you do....follow the instructions on the patch or gum. This IS nicotine which IS a drug. Someone was posting that they were chewing the patch! Not sure if they were joking....but, that's something you should not foll around with.

Stay Strong

0 Kudos
Yess

In my previous attempts to quit, I tried the patch and at the end of a week it was as if nicotine just oozed out of every pore and all I could taste all day was nicotine - like I was smoking too much.  So perhaps I had too strong a patch though I did start at a mid level.  So I wonder if, by using the patch and taking lozenges at the same time - wouldn't that be doubling down on taking in nicotine?   My quit buddy at work found that popping a lozenge for a serious crave - not every time he thought of cigarette - and that's key, it helped him get through his first 3-4 weeks and then was able to stop even that.  We are both still off the smokes - happily because when we see our co-workers smoking, we know that we no longer have to do that - we are free!  Please check the instructions so that you don't do yourself more harm than good!  No matter what you choose to use, ultimately you have to realize that it's the decision to be smoke free that does the trick - all else is an "aid" to that end, not a solution.  We here are one of your "aids", keep connected:)

freeneasy

When I quit smoking, I used NRTs the patch, gum and some lozenges for 5 months. My total cost was approximately $300.My total cost for cigarettes would have been about $1100 for 5 months.  I think you can obtain help to buy  NRTs in some states. 

bonniebee

Haha  you were like me you needed all the "help" you could get !!

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Hi welcome to Ex you are in the right place for great support in quitting the smoking addiction and habit ! I did use the patch and the lozenges but I only used the lozenges when having an extra hard time I did not use man a day in fact the lozenges dissolve so slowly that I usually just put it in my mouth for a few minutes and then I had a little plastic med case that I used to keep it in instead of wasting the whole thing . I probably used only one or two a day in the first weeks then down to less then a whole one . The patch works really well and I used straws cut into thirds for most of my hand to mouth oral habit ......that wears off after awhile . I did not like the gum it was harder to save and I have never liked chewing gum ! In the last few weeks of the patch I weaned myself off the lozenges completely so when the patch was done I had no more nicotine in my body . I would say after a month I barely used any lozenges at all .sayings welcome red rose.jpg

0 Kudos

21mg Patch>Forgot 4th day. Needed next day. Forgot two days in a row the second week so stopped using them.

Put one in my wallet with a promise to myself.

Never looked back.

If you self dose every time you would have smoked you may become psychologically addicted as well as physically addicted because you never changed the reward cycle.