cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gin

it's day 4 and I'm feeling a bit *@*#!?!??!

I've got so many things circling my mind right now. With my recent health issues, my classes, my kid, relationships, etc...I haven't had time to really think about smoking. Today, I'm feeling a bit better physically but mentally, I'm all messed up. I just feel so off. Every thing I think about makes me depressed and think about smoking. I still don't have the energy to go outside & smoke so I haven't. But this funk I'm in is really disheartening. I don't know if I just picked the wrong time to quit. Maybe too many things are going on right now that it's just too much to add on quitting. Help, please?!?!?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jennie3

Hi gin I think that you are feeling quite normal for day 4.The reason you are feeling so depressed and upset is that the nicotine is leaving your system and your body is detoxing drink some icewater chew gum or candy keep your hands and mouth busy! Read some posts from here they are full of tips and help! Craving won't kill but you cigaretts will is. one of my faves that I read on here.You are doing great you can do this 3 days is awesome!!!
0 Kudos
Abby3

Hey there
I'm only at 2 weeks, but I have been battling this addiction for over 20 years and know all the rationalizing your addicted brain will do to push you back into your old ways! Your addicted brain will NEVER agree on the RIGHT time to quit. It will never be the right time - you just have to go through with it. Your life will always have it's stresses. Smoking doesn't make anything less stressful. Non-smokers go through with stressful events just fine (and probably cope better as they aren't on the curb staring blankly into space to fulfill an addiction for a couple hours each day). The sooner you are a non-smoker, the better. My first couple days I cried, blubbered, and lashed out at those people I love. Allow yourself to be grumpy - embrace your grumpiness and try to relax. This phase doesn't last long. Take naps. Know that you are allowed to go through withdrawal and that you must in order to get on with your freedom.

You just absolutely CAN"T give up now, it's too important! All you have to do is NOT SMOKE! I know that isn't as easy as it sounds, but focus on why you are doing this and remind yourself that you don't desire smoking - it's an addiction - there isn't anything desirable about it. Everything about smoking is gross. You can enjoy life without all the smokey hazes!

Why kill yourself over something that doesn't even make you feel good? It just relieves the symptoms that it causes. Smoking now will not make you feel better - it will just start the whole cycle over again and affirm the doubts you are having in yourself. Don't doubt yourself - BE POSITIVE - YOU are in control and can do this!! Stop the cycle of withdrawal/relief and just be relieved for good!! Once you get the nicotine out of your system, believe me, it will be a continuous relief to your body and your brain!

And do you really ever want to go through days 1-3 again? Those are the worst! You will start to feel better and better every day and will soon be incredulous at how you kept up with such a nasty addiction.

Stick with it and embrace your FREEDOM! You don't have to smoke - that's just your brain telling you that you do - all you have to be is a little uncomfortable for a bit and then on with your new life! Hang in there!
Best,
a
0 Kudos
john-pugh

Hi there, my name is John, and went back to my blog and copied and pasted my Day 4 blog below.
You will see the similarities.
HANG IN THERE. if you have four days, you are one of us. YOU will NOT smoke.

Day 4 has arrived
Hello people,

If you are quitting, and I know everything is different for everybody, I am just beginning to land, and am beginning to re-learn life without cigarettes. Do not try to do too much the 1st 3 days, because really you won't be able to do a lot. Today, I'm working on getting another day under my belt, and not being mean to anybody in the procees. I have a long way to go, but It doesn't bother me at all that is my predicament.
0 Kudos
shanna3

Hello there!
Just remember that everything your going through is normal. I know that you want to believe that now is not a good time, but it could be the best time. Things are very stressful right now for you, so this would be the perfect time to show just what your made of!! Try to look at it like this, if you can quit and stay quit through this, then you can stay quit through anything. Try to only think of positive thoughts. I to was very depressed when I quit, and I felt very out of sorts. I came across an article from the department of mental health about quiting and depression that helped me. I really like it.

Depression is an issue of focus for many who quit smoking. At times, quitting smoking is an extremely difficult thing to do, and it is difficult enough when you're feeling happy. I would venture to guess that many people have relapsed during periods of depression; it is more difficult to stay focused and maintain resolve and motivation. For those people who suffer bouts of depression during the cessation process, the condition is usually mild and temporary.

If you find yourself suffering the more common temporary emotional upset, try to relax and let the feelings come as they will. Quitting is a big change in lifestyle, and you will react, to some degree, both emotionally and physically. And think about it; there really is no reason to deny your emotions; they are personal, and they belong to you.

Symptoms of depression may include:
sleeplessness
sadness
difficulty concentrating
anxiety or an "empty feeling
fatigue
changes in appetite (more or less)
loss of interest in hobbies, activities
emotional irritability

While quitting smoking, the body and the mind are in a state of transition, and it's not uncommon for new ex-smokers to struggle with their emotions.

It helps to build up a reservoir of gratitude. When you're feeling down and having a difficult time finding the positives, quitting smoking is always there; you can always feel good about that. Take time at the end of the day to acknowledge the importance of what you are working to accomplish. It will help you fill that resevoir. Find comfort in knowing that you are being kind to your body. Gratitude will help offset negative feelings and make it easier for you to manage depression due to quitting tobacco.

One of the greatest challenges new ex-smokers face is a very important change in perspective. It is that shift in thinking from seeing smoking as an exercise in deprivation to realizing that it is in fact one of the best gifts you've ever given to yourself. This is a crucial step in the process, and it is with this transformation that many see the symptoms of depression begin to lift.

While you are moving through this transitional period, crying, whining, and even screaming are all preferable to inhaling deadly chemicals. Early in the quitting process, some resort to lighting up because they perceive smoking to be something that offers comfort.

Smoking is not comforting; it is familiar.

Time away from smoking makes it less familiar; you'll begin to see nicotine for what it is...a highly addictive drug which robs people of time with those they love and seeks to kill, one puff at a time...if you let it. Give yourself time to develop new and healthier coping strategies. Don't buy the lie. There is never a good reason to light up.

It's likely that many of you who are feeling down, felt happy recently. You'll feel that way again. In the meantime, you can find comfort in turning to your friends, your family, or your faith. In time, these will become the more familiar sources of comfort to you, and smoking will become that thing that you thought used to make you feel better. Take comfort too, in knowing that millions of people have been through this process and not only have they lived to tell about it, but many include it among the most rewarding and life-affirming experiences of their lives.

So, if you've quit smoking in the last few weeks or months and are feeling blue, please be patient with yourself. You are going through some big changes, and your body and mind need some time to adjust. Do any little things you can think of to give yourself a little lift. Rent a comedy, try a new hairstyle, call a friend, go shopping; spend a little of the money you're saving since you quit, and buy yourself something special. Keep reminding yourself that it is a temporary state, and you'll find happier days ahead; with them will come a tremendous sense of pride and empowerment.

~Stay Strong and congrats on your quit!
0 Kudos
miguel

hi gin, i know how u feel , iwas feeling the same way on my third or forth day to begin with i haven`t told anybody on my first day that i quit, iwoke up with a severe tooth ache, went to dentist and was told had a bad gum infection, from there went to have breakfast with my family and got a ticket for not stopping on a yellow light, im atruck driver and my driving record was clean for the past 10 years,well i really wanted to smoke then,but im glad i didn`t, so stay strong!!!!stay quit!!!!!!!!!keep up the fight!!! NO PAIN NO GAIN!!!!!

Hang In There
Comment Graphics and Myspace Layouts at pYzam.com

0 Kudos
cindy25

Even though you know this.....I am going to say it any way.......smoking won't make you feel better. Smoking will give you a few minutes of "pleasure" followed by hours and days of regret about losing your quit and "giving in" and feeling weak". Feeling good, feeling strong and making a promise that you keep for yourself makes you feel good. That is the power in quitting. There IS no good time to quit. There will ALWAYS be something! Stay the course and feel proud that you want a healthier YOU. You are worth it.
0 Kudos
edy

put a positive spin on it, like the one good thing ive got going for me is i've made it.....(however many days you have) w/out taking a drag..(o:,
0 Kudos
polly2

Hiya Gin! What you are feeling is normal and believe me, you are not alone. The mental addiction is what can often make it harder on us...Look at it this way...You have been smoking for how long and quit for 4 days. There is a huge gap in between. All those years that you smoked, your subconscious became entrenched with the belief that smoking is a good thing. Our subconscious knows only what we feed it, whether it is right or wrong. I highly recommend that you go to www.quitsmokingonline.com and read through the web site. It will give you a different perspective and teach you how to think positive thoughts!! From the first day I started here, my mantra has been, "Smoking is not an option!" It works for me, because if it's not an option, then what's the point in thinking about it any longer? You are getting through the worst of it...so hang in there and keep on posting if you need more support! Day 4 is awesome and give yourself a huge pat on the back, thank yourself for quitting and lastly, forgive yourself for polluting your body! You are the only you that you've got! You are also the only you that can take care of you!! Keep on keepin' on -- it does get better!! Drop a post if I can help you any more!
0 Kudos