cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

v-mike

fishing and smoking

hi, i'm a new member with a quit date of dec.31st.  i smoked for about 30 years and i'm really ready to quit....really. my dilemma is,i really love to smoke when i fish(at least i think i love it).i fish alot...2-3 times a week.i'm a semi-pro saltwater fisherman in florida.on average(weekdays)i smoke 5-8 cigarettes a day,not a whole lot,but when i'm fishing,a pack or more is not uncommon.....only 4-8 hours time.this is going to be my toughest trigger to overcome,as i WILL NOT quit fishing. please reply with any comments,words of encouragement,etc as this should prove to be one of my greatest battles.   thanks to all,and wish me luck!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
shearn20

I hear ya on that, fishing for bass here in GA can lead to lots of patience, and with that patience comes smoking (naturally). I'm extremely new to this site, and this entire idea of receiving any kind of help to quit smoking. But im ready. And after 30 years of smoking's negativity... i'm sure you're ready to quit as well. The idea seems to be "What can you do that is positive in your life, to replace the negative act of smoking?" So with that in mind...

When you feel the urge to smoke when the fish aren't biting... don't smoke... there are so many things you can do as a fisherman that is productive, rather than smoking and wasting your time. Tie on a new bait. Get another rod set up. Clean a reel. Not sure if you are trolling for fish or if you are casting, but try new casting techniques; one that requires two hands (like dock pitching)

I think the biggest thing is... just know that there is actually someone (who likes to fish too) that is in the same "boat" you're in... so you aren't alone in the things you are trying to accomplish. Stick with it.

-Sean

0 Kudos
v-mike

thanks Sean,i have been able to start quitting early,as i have caught a cold,and the holiday activities have actually kept me off the water.hopefully when i return i will be able to continue the non-smoking part.i will make additions  to my gear such as;beef jerky,flavored toothpicks and the like.they should help me get through the early stages.looking forward with enthusiasm instead of dread

Mike

0 Kudos
brandon18

I hear yah.  I'm thinking of hitting the ice for some panfish in the next couple days.  On my seventh day of quiting, but fishing and hunting make me nervous, because on a slow day I could easily double or triple the number of cigs I would have usually smoked.  Never the less need to get out and do something-- hope their biting

Good Luck

Brandon 

0 Kudos
v-mike

ok,i've passed my quit date,but the "not fishing"part has got to end.the winds are blowin and the tide is awful,cold and rain....as long as i focus on how good it feels to leave cigarettes in the past,i will beat them...no problem.i actually feel better already knowing that the cravings are not ok,and WILL NOT be running my LIFE.i will simply ignore them and they go away after only a few minutes.can't wait to go fishin without em.

Mike

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bassmasters videos of Kevin and Zell have been posted. Check them out! http://www.becomeanex.org/bassmaster.php

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
blink

The fishing and smoking thing is tough.

In 2008, I quit smoking over the winter. Went for 4 months without a cigarette. Then I went to my first tournament of the 2009 season and came back a smoker.

Here I am at 23 days so far and fishing season is right around the corner again. I think I may actually skip the tournament thing this year. I'd rather miss one year now than 20 years later, if you know what I mean!

0 Kudos