cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

snowshark

dying friend

i went to see my old childhood friend yesterday..8 months ago he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.he has just been given the news his radiation is not shrinking the tumors.yesterday was his second day of chemo. it is inoperable.he was given a couple months.i do not want to develop any kind of cancer.i need help to quit plz...
0 Kudos
8 Replies
rebecca6

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That must be really hard on you. It is hard to see someone that you love so sick. It is hard to face that we are not immortal and there are environmental factors that are in fact killing us. I have just experienced another loss of smoking related cancer too. I lost my grandma, my dad, my aunt, and recently my other grandmother all from lung cancer. My best friend's mother is dying from emphasima and COPD. She is only in her 40's! They are all smokers. This is the most important time in your life to quit. It more important than ever. Do it for the people that you love. You may not be able to change the outcome for your friend, but you can change it for yourself. You have the power to keep those around you that love you to experience the loss of yourself. It is heartbreaking to lose your friend. Please try to do it for the ones that love you like you love your friend.
0 Kudos
jennie3

Cancer destroys so many lives I have lost family and friends too, it feels helpless to watch a strong health person shrink and become sicker before your very eyes.We will be here to help you however we can you can do this!
0 Kudos
jennie3

Cancer destroys so many lives I have lost family and friends too, it feels helpless to watch a strong health person shrink and become sicker before your very eyes.We will be here to help you however we can you can do this!
0 Kudos
sjg

Wow, what a wake-up call. You CAN do it. It won't be easy, but you can. I'm only 4 days in --still sucks, and I still crave pretty much every hour, but I know that I want to be here to enjoy this life--my husband, dogs, family etc. I want to be a mum some day! Thinking about those goals are what convinced me it was time to stop lighting up. I honestly say, JUST DO IT before it is too late. We're all here to support you through the tought times...of which there will be many. But those tough times are nothing compared to what your childhood friend is facing. Think of how strong you are!!!!
0 Kudos
edith2

My sister was diagnosed two years ago with breast cancer. It was more severe than what she told us at first. I had not gotten along with my sister for decades. When I heard the news, ALL my resentments flew out the window and I cried for days. Thankfully, she survived her breast cancer and is still going through reconstructive surgery. It was a big wake-up call to me that cancer is serious business. I don't want to end up walking around hooked up to an oxygen tank. Or have one of my lungs removed. There is nothing sexy, cool, fun, or anything else about smoking. Whether it's tobacco or not. You are already in the process of quitting because you're here and you're writing about it. I believe you're willing to go to any lengths to quit. Like I said before, stick with the winners; the ones who are serious about quitting and not just here to win a popularity contest. Check out Michael Patterson's page. He has a powerful message.
0 Kudos
edith2

My sister was diagnosed two years ago with breast cancer. It was more severe than what she told us at first. I had not gotten along with my sister for decades. When I heard the news, ALL my resentments flew out the window and I cried for days. Thankfully, she survived her breast cancer and is still going through reconstructive surgery. It was a big wake-up call to me that cancer is serious business. I don't want to end up walking around hooked up to an oxygen tank. Or have one of my lungs removed. There is nothing sexy, cool, fun, or anything else about smoking. Whether it's tobacco or not. You are already in the process of quitting because you're here and you're writing about it. I believe you're willing to go to any lengths to quit. Like I said before, stick with the winners; the ones who are serious about quitting and not just here to win a popularity contest. Check out Michael Patterson's page. He has a powerful message.
0 Kudos
carlie

I agree - You have gotten some EXCELLENT advice here - and ALL the bases have been covered...it's up to you now !!!
Start with the EX program....follow the steps.....set a quit date ... let us know how you're doing. Any questions or advice; we are all here for you....

You CAN do this.......You WILL do this !!!!!
I add my Wwlcome to the others....
Photobucket Image Hosting
0 Kudos
Giulia

You friend is your help. My husband's best friend called him one day and said he had lung cancer. My husband put down his cigarettes that day and never took another puff. My husband believes that his friend saved his life. Let your friend save yours. You live so you can tell his stories.
0 Kudos