cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gethelp

bad anxiety

hi everyone! 

I am on day 9 of quitting and i have had really bad anxiety almost everyday. it started to get better but now it is worse again. I am not eating well and i cannot seem to calm down or get the panic to go away. i'm wondering what i can do because im exhausted and im not sure this much anxiety is normal. I really need help. 

thanks 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
champsin97

I am sorry to hear that.  I am on day 8 and have had bouts with that too.  When it comes I try to not concentrate on it.  I will go do something else like do some work in the yard,  go for a walk, ride my bike.  I also will chew some gum or a straw.  I will watch TV or get online.  Just try to do anything to keep my mind off the quit.  I've even had a couple nights where I'll have a couple drinks just to try to chill out.   If you search there's probably some good information on that here.  Stay strong.  I would think it should start subsiding.

champsin97

This a snippit from the member YoungAtHeart:

Educating yourself on the addiction and having a PLAN going forward will reduce the anxiety of quitting.  Get busy learning and preparing, and I think you may actually start to look forward to this journey!  You will do this one day at a time, so don't be looking further ahead than that.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@gethelp I'm sorry that you are having a tough time, please show yourself some grace and take it one day at a time. Your body is craving what it can't have, but it will get better! You will get through this. 

Here is a article on addressing the anxiety: https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/addressing-anxiety/

Please keep reaching out for support. We are here for you!

-Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

@gethelp how quitters feel about quitting is quite an untold story. Mostly it is said about quitting "it's the hardest thing I've every done..." It is distressing for many of us and to top it off we are dealing with unpleasant feelings while life goes on and we're suppose to show up as if nothing is wrong!!!

Ouch!!!

I think ouch is a good way to express quitting. But you deserve congratulations on all your days one, on taking a chance to quit, on coming here to ask for support!! That's a lot of work. Stick around, keep reading, keep looking for tips, tricks to keep your self occupied.

At Ex, we know this are simple suggestions for keeping busy, but that the stuff that goes on inside one's head can be so unpleasant. Many here would say they had to work through a lot of uncertainty until they started to get it all back together. You can do this, keep at it. 

iMarkup_20210523_082833.jpg323904809_1208377589770425_5267243791019261933_n.jpgFB_IMG_1569609273073.jpg

McMoney

@gethelp  How are you doing now? 

- Meriah
0 Kudos
gethelp

Better, I went back home for a week or so and got back on my meds and started therapy.