cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sandraj1985

Work stress

Working a demanding job really makes it hard. As a waitress/cook/dishwasher. My job is very demanding and full force. The daily pull from diffenent directions having people coming at you all the time is so stressful. When I was smoking it helped to relieve the stress. Now I have found that breathing exercises and counting backward helps to some extent. Chewing gum just makes my jaws hurt because I chew so hard and clench my jaws to much. Is there anything else that can help to elevate the stress? Note that there is only two of us working in the restaurant (me and the owner) there are no breaks during my shift. Yes i know that its the law to get breaks but we don't. 😔 so when I leave work I blast music and sing my heart out. Then the stress is gone. But really need help with at work stress. Would love to leanr new ways to help with the issues.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Barbscloud

@Sandraj1985 Sorry you can't take a break.  Stepping away for a few is obviously the best medicine.

There are other choices besides gum.  I can't chew it because it hurts my teeth.  Try some hard candy.  I liked Sour Patch Kids--I think the sour helps. And chewing on straws.  You should have lots those available.

And of course you can still do you deep breathing exercises even though you're moving.

Barbscloud_1-1684676771013.gif

Congrats on your success.  Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Sandraj1985 Work stress is very real and I'm glad to hear that you are finding ways to cope versus smoking. Breathing and being able to go outside and inhaling the fresh air may help, even if it is for a second. Balancing your mental health with trying to quit is a must so you can continue on.

Good job at maintaining your smoke free journey! One day at a time.

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team

I know what you mean about clenching your teeth. I did that a lot when I quit. And the thing that I remember is that the stress was indeed magnified by the fact that I was quitting. I knew the cigarette seemed to always be the answer, because that's how it was for me before I quit.

But the reality is so much different then what we think. The addict within seems to use every situation in life to make us uncomfortable. I think it's because we can no longer do the one thing that we believed could bring us peace, even if it's a false peace.

That's a big part of quitting I think. Learning new ways to cope, because in order to be successful we have to change everything we did before. Change can be hard but the bottom line is that you seem to have the commitment needed to win. Over time, I think you'll find new ways to cope. 

I look forward to hearing of your success!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck