cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brenda61

Women Quitters in Their 50's

Hi. Not sure I am in menopause but I am 49. will be 50 in oct.  I think i might be in pre meno and i also have copd.  I quit march 27 cold turkey.  Pray for me as I am also suffering from memory loss

0 Kudos
126 Replies
quitter39

Got my Amberen in the mail this morning.  Took it today, says from 3-30 days to see results!!  Hope I get some soon.  Did a Richard Simmons workout again today and then a 3.5 mile walk outside.  Actually not to bad windchill -15, guess that says what I have gotten used to in Minnesota!  Felt great to get out again and do that. 

0 Kudos
quitter39

Not a good weekend.  Hubby got sick, fever, aches, coughing, the crud that is going around.  He is still a smoker.  After laying on the couch a few hours yesterday, he gets up to go out to the garage to smoke!!  He says he only has a few left and when they are gone he will quit.  Heard this before, but he said he will this time if get him chocolate!!  So I went and got chocolate everything!  So, of course I have to have some!  Then today he didn't get up to go out till early afternoon, surprised he made it that long.  And I just started crying, the way he sounds wheezing, and then to go smoke.  He said he has about 1/2 pack then he is done.  Well, I sure hope it is true cause he sounds awful.  And just kind of emotional, Saturday is the 1 year since I lost my dad. 

0 Kudos
onelasttime

I know what it feels like to have lost parents it is sometimes emotional for me , this weekend I was telling my hubby a story about my Dad and just got overwelmed with missing him and he has been gone for 18 years but I miss him very mush still. I hope your husband quits to but if he doesn't don't you be discourage we know as former smokers every time I got a lung infection I was quitting only to smoke as soon as I felt better. He may be serious enough to do it we can only pray.

I wanted to share with everyone that I have started to count my calories I have been doing this since the 4 of January on a web page called caloriecount.com it is free and help to identify what and when you are doing your eating and how amny calories you are over what you need to function. I did all the graphes and charts to come up with how many calories I need to just live per day then I put in what I eat what exercise I do and it calculates at the end of the day how much I am over or under also gives a detailed chart showing what nutrients you are over in or lacking which helps monitor cholestrol and other things. though maybe this might be of help to some of you tring to loose weight. I have found it to be eye opening at first at how much I was eating. I have cut my calories by probably two thirds. and still feel fine..have a good day gals...Hugs Deb

0 Kudos
cyn9

My periods were slowly stopping and had the last one(so I thought) 6 months ago. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago and one week into my quit my period started again. I had read smoking plays havok with hormones. I haven't really had hot flashes but have gained alittle weight around my stomach and have terrible heart burn, moody and forgetful.

0 Kudos
onelasttime

well smoking and hormones I am convinced they play a part Smoking almost has to alter hormones , it alters the balance of the brain..they are one in the same..Our brain produce the hormone well instruct the other parts to produce...and also smoking has been linked to cervical and ovarian cancer....

0 Kudos
quitter39

Hey cyn, I went a year and then had one surprise visit from mother nature!!  Cruel!  Well, hubby is starting to get better, still not smoking!  But he wants lots of junk food, and hard for me to resist.  Did a lot of exercise the last couple days, walked almost 10 miles yesterday and shoveled snow for a couple hours.  We have so much snow had to go up on the roof and shovel that off.  Was blocking the vents and so deep would start dripping in when I used a shower fan or range hood.  Took a couple hours on each side of the roof.  Did another 4 miles walking today.  But then tonight I have had 4 Hershey's nuggets!! 

0 Kudos
onelasttime

The 50 calorie nuggets? I got the special dark kisses they are 15 and one will satisfy me.Glad to hear your hubby is getting better. I walked three miles yesterday and ten minutes on the eliptical that is a killer. I don't know if I will ever get to the full workout. For some reason I have really weak legs. Strong  upper body but i have been working my legs a lot. about 100 squats a day. throughout the day. For one they are like bird legs I am truley built like humpty dumpty..hah..Oh well I make the best with what God has given me I am still breathing and my family is all healthy and doing well so I am blessed ...have a good night Deb

0 Kudos
shoosh

Almost 10 days quit now. 3rd try this month (first was Jan. 1). Had to get Chantix, but it worked once before when I got 6 months and then relapsed on cigars (awful!!). Doing OK, whether its a crutch or not. It works for me. Hormones and intermiitent hot flashes since menopause became official for me about 1 year ago, Good luck fellow non-smokers.

0 Kudos
quitter39

Onelasttime, wish I could say I had bird legs, mine are bird legs, but more like turkey legs...big drumsticks!!  I seem to carry my weight in my legs and thighs!!  My upper body is ok, waist down...not so good. 

shoosh, if the Chantix works use it.  Whatever it takes to be smoke free.  Good job on the 10 days, the first 2 weeks were my hardest part.

Trying to get my eating under control.  My grandson is here not till Sunday, and he eats healthy, mom is a health nut.  So that might help, he says Grandma we are supposed to have healthy food, not junk!  And he just turned 5. 

Hubby is feeling better, fever went down.  Still a little sick, and achy but a lot better.  Still not smoking...day 4 for him!  He's really not even crabby, or anymore than usual!! haha! 

Keeping up the walking, been fairly nice here for a few days!  Above 0 feels great!   Weekend is supposed to get cold again.

Have been using the Amberen and have not really noticed any difference yet.  Still hot and hungry!!! 

0 Kudos
onelasttime

Shoosh, I used chantix to quit I like you used it and quit for six months only to pick it back up I quit for all the wrong reasons my heart wasn't in it. this time my heart,body and soul wanted it so I knew I would succeed. I took the chantix for the first week quit smoking then took it almost two more weeks and then just stopped the chantix. It made me feel weird I don't know how to explain it kinda outta body experience but it was worth it to be able to stop. I know there is a lot of contrversery around it and I know that it is probably hated by the cig companies because they want people to continue to smoke so they try to make quitting impossible.

0 Kudos