cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brenda61

Women Quitters in Their 50's

Hi. Not sure I am in menopause but I am 49. will be 50 in oct.  I think i might be in pre meno and i also have copd.  I quit march 27 cold turkey.  Pray for me as I am also suffering from memory loss

0 Kudos
126 Replies
quitter39

Zoomie, that tight feeling in your chest will go away.  I quit cold turkey, after trying all the other things on the market and failing.  I drank a lot of juice to beat the cravings.  Then turned to food...not the healthiest, but I am not smoking.  I loved Gobstoppers candy, a little jawbreaker, with a sweettart middle.   Now I am ready to drop the 25 pounds!  It's not all from quitting smoking, I was gaining before that.  My dad passed away almost a year ago, and I turned to food for comfort!!  So in the past year the 25 pounds have come back to me!  I lost 45 pounds 3 years ago and kept it off until this past year!  So I need to do it again.   

So enough rambling, you can do it!  I did anyone can!  I would sing, cry, scream, dance, or whatever to get through a craving.  It worked! 

0 Kudos
quitter39

Guess I was hoping this would be a more active board.  Good topics to discuss.  If anyone just stops by, leave a comment. 

0 Kudos
Yaya2.6.10

Thanks for posting on the Blogs about this page.  I hung out here for a while, but then not much happened.  I went thru menopause 25 years ago and still have hot flashes.  I was on HRT and then went off when the news was bad on them.  That lasted only a few months and I went back on at a lower dose.  Several years later I went off again when they changed the rec to stay on forever for heart and bones.  Again, I was a mess so went on the bioidentical deal with creams and eyedroppers full of something or other.  That was a nuisance and after a while I kept forgetting a dose here or there and then took a trip and forgot to pack the stuff.  I felt okay so never went back.  If room is overheated or I'm agitated, I get a nasty hot flash several times a week, but brain mostly works and I sleep okay so am done with HRT's.

0 Kudos
quitter39

Really hoping this would pick up.  Would like to hear some input on weight gain, hot flashes and what works.  I just ordered some Amberen, should have it the end of the week.  Have no idea how it will work, just going by the ads and website.  Over the last year I have gained 30 pounds and do not like it!!  Worked hard 3 years ago to lose 45 and it came back as soon as menopause kicked in.  That and the stress of losing my dad and quitting smoking!  So, just would be interested in talking with others and see some new ideas on dealing with this. 

0 Kudos
ninepatch

For hot flashes I tried Esteveen over the counter. It helped some.  My Dr wouldn't give hormones since I was a smoker at the time of my visit last Sept.  I don't think I would take them anyway.  It's been 4 months without a period and I'm hopeing that part is done with.  Stil having hot flashes.  My weight gain with menopause hasn't been alot.  My fat has shifted to different areas like my upper arms are fat and they used to never be fat.  I don't like how my fat is changing.  Anyway I have gone up 12 pounds since quiting smoking 93 days ago.  And I was a big girl to begin with.  I need to start getting some exercise and I know it will help with the weight gain.  I used to do Richard Simmons.  I know he is corny but it was a good workout low impact. 

0 Kudos
onelasttime

Hey everyone I just found this blog this morning. I am in the boat with you all menopause weight gain. I went from 135 to 181 of course there was a six months smoking cessation and finally the real quit one year ago. So i attribute weight gain to all those factors also had a oreo addiction when I quit smoking I just had a carb crave constantly and I let myself eat as a reward for not smoking boy was that a mistake. I have turned it around finally iIhave lost 13 pounds since Dec 20 some where around there. I have been walking on the treadmill everyday for at least 30 min try to get to a sweat in the first ten to get my heart rate to a fat burning level. I have also cut out all the white stuff and most meat. I eat fish chicken turkey I allowed my self one splurge meal a week it give me something to look forward to. I also yesterday going the Curves circuit training for women. It will be great for me with my back issues low impact but high calorie burn i am looking forward to good thing. It does take willpower just like quitting smoking but hey we done that!!!Hot flashes I couldn't tell ya black cohosh seems to help me some. I also take ultra active womens vitamins from gnc I did notice I have more energy when I take those. Green tea also helps with the belly fat I have lost 5 inches from my waist. 3 cups hot everyday.If I find any info I will share it with you all we are all in this life together so we need to help each other.Hugs Deb

0 Kudos
kim146

I'm not sure if it's another side effect of menapause, but I seem spacier lately.  I went through 2 months of studying for my RE exam and don't feel that I've retained anything so I'm starting over.  I've been in real estate for years and moved to another state where I have to retest.  I still haven't given in to HRT yet although I have the prescription.  I read that menopause lasts 12 months from the date your last period stops.  Then it's over.  That being the case, I shouldn't have too much longer.  I've had some weight gain, but it's more of a shifting problem.

0 Kudos
quitter39

Kim, it's been 1 1/2 years since a period for me, and right now as I type this I am roasting!  And yea, the spacey is terrible.  In the last year I have gained 30 pounds, Had a lot going on in that time, lost my dad, quit smoking and menopause!  So, 10 pounds to each one! 

Glad to see some people on here.  I am really trying to get back to healthy eating, lots of fruit veggies yogurt. 

Waiting for that Amberen to get here and see if that makes some difference.  I just always feel hungry.  I try drinking a lot of water to curb that, but still hungry.  When I quit smoking I became hooked on trail mix and gobstoppers.  Have completely given those up. 

Onelasttime, great job on the weight loss.  I have used green tea before, cold one, maybe should try it again.

0 Kudos
onelasttime

.Thought I would let everyone know I made it through two rounds of the circut training the workout is three..I skipped today and did cardio and tomorrow will be the day i do the full 30 minutes. I am sore but I think its from walking incline on my treadmill. I  have been upping the time today i walked a mile uphill then a mile on the level in 38 minute. not to bad but it a fst walk and jars my back a lot. We are getting hammered with snow again tonight in OHIO. we have had a  lot of snow for the southern part the winter has been to long I am sure everyone here is ready to get out side to exercise do some fishing and camping swimming....I can't wait to take my grandson hiking now that I can breathe..have a good nite...Hugs Deb

0 Kudos
quitter39

Nine patch, after you saying about Richard Simmons, I dug out mine tonight and did a workout.  I was doing it quite regular a couple years ago.  That one and the 4 mile workout.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  Just soooooo freezing cold here today, can't get out and walk.  Even my dog, Siberian Husky is in the house...and he never wants to come in!  So, I know it is to cold for me. 

Can't wait for it to start warming up, get back out and do some fishing, camping, swimming and hiking! 

0 Kudos