cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brenda61

Women Quitters in Their 50's

Hi. Not sure I am in menopause but I am 49. will be 50 in oct.  I think i might be in pre meno and i also have copd.  I quit march 27 cold turkey.  Pray for me as I am also suffering from memory loss

0 Kudos
126 Replies
bb_4

Newbie here too.  I think this is the group I need to be on. Way more than age 55. LOL!  59 years smoking! How sick is that?  I didn't have a cancer scare in the fall of 09; had colon cancer, surgery, and change in lifestyle. Some serious decisions made at the time, but quitting smoking was not one of them.  I just realised that I haven'y actually quit, since I am using patch. It's not the nicotine that has drug me back into smoking after 32 attempts, it's the hand to mouth exercise. I remembered just an hour ago that I have ecugarettes in my dresser. Tried that and I think I can do it. I will buy lo nicotine cartridges, and No nicotine ones for after that. I can get the activity without  'smoking'. Went on ecigarette group, and they are all pretty new too.  A big cheer for all of us on here. We will beat it, and the tobacco companies, too. Your new friend, BB

0 Kudos
bb_4

Shoosh, didn't you just love Allen Carr's book?  I quit a 'happy non smoker" for 3 weeks, then I had a stroke and it screwed with my brain. Started smoking when I got out of hospital. Had the stroke from low blood suger. (hypoglycemia) Didn't know it could do that!  I wasn't able to quit after that. If you have stopped stay that way. Allen Carr's suggestions really work, but you have to follow thru. Good luck and bless you.  BB

0 Kudos
bb_4

southern girl Donna. Quitting will make you feel so much better, because it is something you can control while the rest of the world is beyond your control for a while. Bless you and you family.  It takes a strong person to start and continue to smoke, so I know you are physically and mentally strong. You will do this! Sending virtual hugs to you. BB 

0 Kudos
cea41514

I see that I have finally made it to where I am suppose to be. I am 55 yrs young and have smoked 40 or more of these years. I do like smoking and I really miss it, but as i have said before failure is not an option. I have a deeply personal reason for quitting and then I have many other resons for quitting. I just wish I did not feel so mean while detoxing. I have been smoke free for 3 days and four nights. I have ate everything in the kitchen except the cabinets. This is a little scary as I am unable to exercise  due to RA. I do walk, but I must tackle this eating situation. Today I am grouchy, but I am not having the dizzy, lightheaded moments. I still have a slight headache. Anyway, thank you all for allowing me to grip and complain.  I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me.   

0 Kudos
zoomie

Hi, I just read all the inputs from the group.  I am a bit more inspired to quit now.  I know it will be hard because I quit before -- for 18 years -- then started back again because my ex and all his friends were smokers.  I wanted to be part of the "group".  I have been smoking again now for 3 years.  My ex died  18 months ago from respiratory failure.  Even that was not enough to encourage me to quit.  I am now 57, have gone trough the "change" and smoke a pack and a half daily.  I enjoy having my cigs but have finally come to the conclusion that it is not good for me.  I tried Chantex (without a doctors advice)  but that didn't help at all -- it interfered with my other medications -- anti-depressants.  I bought into the e-cigs for a while but they didn't give me the satisfaction of the real thing.  I used the lozenges and quit for 2 days.  I've done this 3 times in the past month.  I start getting a very tight feeling in my chest on that 3rd day then go out and buy another carton; always with the thought that after these are gone I'll try to quit again.  Does anyone have advice on how to get past that tight feeling?

I looked through all the videos from Dr Hart and was surprised to learn that you can combine different products to help with the withdrawl symptoms.  Perhaps a combination of patches and lozenges will help me get through the rough spots.

This is my first time at trying to quit with the support of others.  I've always "done it on my own" because I didn't want to let others know if or when I failed.

0 Kudos
Yaya2.6.10

This time when I Quit I told everyone that I was quitting well in advance of the date and what I was doing to prepare.  Some of the folks that I hoped would be my main supports were doubtful after watching me fail or not even try for years.  Support came from some astounding places and really helped.  I also was too stubborn to fail in front of all those people.  I am an advocate of shouting from the rooftops that your Quit Date is coming up or how many days you've been Quit. 

0 Kudos
ashley72

I wanna quit smoking. I know we all wish the same. This isn't the first time I am trying. I have slipped at least a dozen times. But after reading all you guys, I think I have not been putting in real efforts. I have been trying but not very seriously. I wasn't dedicated all these years. But now, I think, I have taken the decision, set my goal and I am going to do it at any cost.  This is my third day without a fag touching my lips. My colleagues and friends know I am trying to quit. But my friends don't take it seriously. Can't blame them. But I now  I realized that I need to hangout with the right people and set my course right to get where I want. Just as Elimac said, I too believe this group will be the extra edge I need to realize my goal. Wish me luck and help me guys. let's do it! Together!!

0 Kudos

See a lot of new faces here. Don't recall seeing most of you in the blogs where we all hang out. Thought I would tell you that and also offer up some sites that may help at least one of you. http://quitsmokingonline.com/  has helped so many of us - has a very positive approach to quitting and lots of info about the nicotine addiction.  http://www.whyquit.com/joel/dayzero.htm  Tells you what to expect to prepare and when you actually quit.  Visit the main page  http://www.whyquit.com for all things nicotine addiction and ways to rid yourself forever.  If you have already quit make sure to drink plenty of water.  Please visit those sites.  When you are ready come on to the Blogs and introduce yourself (if you haven't already). We even have some fun there! It doesn't all have to be so serious!!! ((hugs)) to you all! 

0 Kudos
tomster

I am 61 and have been on HRT since i was 42. Switched to FemHRT instead of Prempro when i found out Prempro was made from pregnant Mares.

I had such bad menopausal symtoms , i couldn't stand it. Dry red eyes, iching all over, terrible depression, no sleep, nasty to everybody. A few days on HRT and life was good again. I will never go off again.

As for smoking, i'm on day three and hanging in there without the patch. But i have everything in my purse, in case i need it. Also have the gum, which i had to chew a piece last night, when i suddenly got this craving and went thru my drawers looking for cigarettes.

It's not going to be easy, but we can do it.  We have to stand together and fight of our enemy 'Nicotine".

Good luck

Marianne

0 Kudos
quitter39

I am 256 days quit!  Loving that.  I am 51 years old, smoked since I was 16 about a pack a day.  Quit cold turkey, used food as a replacement therapy.  I am about a year and half into menopause.  My worst part of that is mood swings and night sweats.  I have gained about 25 pounds.  I am just feeling down about lots of things, mostly the weight gain.  I am a regular walker 3-5 miles a day.  Weather permitting, I live in Minnesota!  I do walk when it is cold, just not the extreme stuff or blizzards!  Has anyone tried any of those advertised otc meds for menopause?  That they all claim is the best!!  Just guess I am mostly looking for someone to share some of these same problems with, and see what others are doing to deal with it.

Married, mother of 3 grown kids, 4 grandkids, the oldest 5, 1 dog and one cat.  Work part time.  Love the outdoors. 

0 Kudos